« on: July 14, 2007, 21:30 »
anyone ever been tempted by it?  

if so what have you tried?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
road kill
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 21:40 »
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

brucesgirl

road kill
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 22:10 »
I know if a stag gets knocked down in the lanes where I work the locals race there to get a bit of it.

Ice

• muck spreader
road kill
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 22:51 »
My dad used to come home with a lot of pheasant roadkill.  He was a very down to earth Irishman that loved ferreting and poaching, so we ate like royalty.  Can't see the problem except that it might be a little more mangled, but no less tasty.

There is a strange law in this country whereby if you kill something it is illegal for you to stop and pick it up, but the next person along can.   :shock:
Cheese makes everything better.

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
road kill
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 23:07 »
A car infrount of my brother once knocked down a deer so my brother picked it up and brought it home we had venison for ages and i knocked down a phesant and brought it home.
as long as its not squished or stiff you can eat it.

splodger

road kill
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 11:56 »
reminds me of the two tramps walking down a lane - 1 stops and picks up the remains of a rabbit - offers it to his mate, who sharply declines - then tucks in - spitting out the fur as he sucks off the flesh.

a little while later they come across a maggot riddled pheasant. again the tramp picks it up and offers it to his mate - who again shakes his head in disgust.

later a deer lay by the side of the road - and again the tramp tucks in to the rotting flesh - the other tramp cringes at the sight of his friend looking like hannibal lector.

after a few hours, the tramp who had eaten the roadkill was feeling queezy, bends over and has an almight heeve - puke goes everywhere - thats more like it replies the other tramp - just what iv'e been waiting for - a nice hot meal... :lol:

new_2_veg

road kill
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 12:22 »
:roll:

yuk thats sick lol

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
road kill
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 16:34 »
Road kill is OK, I've eaten loads of rabbit and pheasant and a good few other birds. If you dint kill it yourself, look out for feathers still blowing about, show its fresh, or a rabbit should still be floppy and a bit warm. I hear you can eat badger but I wouldn't, they smell too bad.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
road kill
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 21:24 »
was wondering whether you needed to hang the meat etc.

if i found a decent enough looking pigeon for example - not too squashed etc  how would i go about things?

also muntjac - your reading this??  hope so.  do you still catch/trap eels?

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
road kill
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 22:33 »
Quote from: "jennyb"
was wondering whether you needed to hang the meat etc.

if i found a decent enough looking pigeon for example - not too squashed etc  how would i go about things?

also muntjac - your reading this??  hope so.  do you still catch/trap eels?

also i would like to add never ever eat anyroad kill what smells even in the slightest off if your unsure do not eat it.

there isnt a lot of meat on pigeon anyway so i really wouldnt bother with pigeogn.as for hanging yes by all means but not for to long remember you wont exactley know when the animal was killed

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
road kill
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 12:53 »
I don't hang it. If it's been hit by a car it won't be a clean kill so I like to get it stripped and jointed ASAP. Baby rabbits are lovely just dipped in flour and panfried in butter - older ones are tough and need casseroling. For a pigeon, don't bother plucking just skin the breast and cut that off, throw the rest away its more work than the result is worth. Pheasant is difficult to tell the age, if its legs look tough, yellow and scaly then its probably older and tougher. The trick with pheasant is to eat it either rare or cooked for hours, anywhere in between its like leather.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
road kill
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 15:32 »
am very tempted to take a drive round the country lanes now....

thing is i think my mum will have a fit if i come home with something......

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
road kill
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 16:45 »
Oh no, you don't let anyone else know you do it, thats worse than eating nettles...

new_2_veg

road kill
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 18:12 »
i couldnt do it myself, i couldnt do anthing to it while it sat there looking at me  :(

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
road kill
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 16:12 »
Trust me, it won't be looking at you, they almost always get hit in the head...

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.