Energy saving tip

• 7 Replies

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Energy saving tip
« on: January 15, 2007, 14:43 »
I have always thought I was energy efficient etc, however had a meeting last week with an expert who gave me loads of tips and facts.

Its a fact that 98% of all microwaves use more energy on standby (ie powering the clock) than they will ever use actually cooking.  so if you have a microwave switch it off at the plug until you need to use it. this is something I'd never considered, i leave if plugged in the whole time and only use it very occassionally - What a waste of evergy and money!!
Starting from scratch............

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Energy saving tip
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 15:51 »
please forgive all the typos!  i can spell lol, just fingers go to fast and i dont check message until after i've posted it  :lol:   :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Energy saving tip
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 16:51 »
You must be like me Sorrel..... fingers go faster than the brain!!!!  

I keep trying to switch the microwave off at the socket, but OH gets annoyed when the microwave doesn't work!!!!!  But will try to get into the habit again, like turning off the TV and other stuff instead of leaving it on standby....

Annie

Energy saving tip
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 16:58 »
We`ve got a built in microwave and following a discussion on this site disabled the clock s on oven and micrwave,the timers/temp stuff still work when needed but the rest of the time the display is blank.Just the radio alarm left but I will miss the double alarm,snooze button and knowing what time it is without putting the light on.

milkman

Energy saving tip
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 19:43 »
oh and i are getting into the habit of turning off the switch at the wall which covers microwave, oven and hob - thanks to this site.  have been turning telly and accompaniments off at wall for a while now, and recently I've been turning my puta off at the wall as well...not sure if this makes a difference though. zak rabbit will probably know.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

shaun

Energy saving tip
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 19:46 »
whats a puta milky ?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Energy saving tip
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 21:03 »
:D Behold! I am awaken'ed by a calling!
 :D

what was the question again?

yes it certainly does make a difference! my PC has a switch on the power supply at the back that i use. When the machine is 'off' on a modern machine its only sleeping, mine takes about 12w in that state, when turned off properly (at the wall as it were, only not on mine cos i have met instruments on the same plug) you eliminate that bit of wasted power. On mine it goes down to just 3w, and thats the power used by the weather station and the charger for the phone (DECT cordless, so always in the charger)

currently using 189W at a PF of 0.74 (you can ignor that bit if your not a sparky) thats the PC (running processor intense project software), monitor, router, phone and weather station. I dont have the speakers plugged in cos the hum annoyingly.

if your wondering how i know the exact numbers - my energy monitor box in the plug tells me, and i can see it from here  :wink:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Energy saving tip
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 21:06 »
Shaun shirley you know what a puta is?

Puta - electronic device made from grey metal that goes wrong and would be best melted down and made into tankards :lol:

just thought - its good to turn it off at the wall, so long as you shut it down properly! dont just flick the switch on a windows machine (like my son does!) :cry:

xx
Saving Energy

Started by David. on Frugal Living

26 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 00:17
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Energy saving lightbulbs

Started by Little Miss Muffet on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 10:49
by Oscar Too
xx
Cheap Energy Saving Bulbs (Lamps!)

Started by DD. on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 16:36
by DD.
xx
free energy saving stuff off eaga

Started by kezlou on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 20:44
by robbobnbill

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.