Kale and PSB seedlings

• 10 Replies

Benny130

• Experienced Member
Kale and PSB seedlings
« on: May 11, 2015, 19:54 »
So I have germinated some kale and PSB seeds in the plastic greenhouse. Now they have emerged should I leave them in there or allow them outside of the greenhouses??

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Kale and PSB seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 19:58 »
Get them outside, they don't like the warmth  ;)

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 14:20 »
Do they need to be proper little plants before they go on the plot? Ie pot up and let them grow on at home? Likewise my courgettes have now germinated. They can go straight in can't they? On holiday next week so want to get organised! Thanks in advance

madcat

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 15:43 »
They need at least two proper leaves before you transplant them and they will need watering when they go out on the plot.  If you plant them out before they are proper little plants they will need more protection and will be more at risk from pests.  Will you have anyone to offer tlc at home or on the plot while you are away?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 18:11 »
My mum is here to feed the moggy. Perhaps I'll leave them here to get a bit bigger. I have four courgette plants of which I know two will be more than enough but would 2 kale and 2 psb do the job on a small patch to feed to adults??

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 20:46 »
My mum is here to feed the moggy. Perhaps I'll leave them here to get a bit bigger. I have four courgette plants of which I know two will be more than enough but would 2 kale and 2 psb do the job on a small patch to feed to adults??
I don't know about the kale as haven't grown it previously but if your plants grow well I would think 2 psb plants would be sufficient.  I grew about 8 last year and was giving away loads of the stuff in March And April this year.  You do need to net it properly to keep the pigeons off so I'm going to try and get all my brassicas on one plot this year to reduce the netting requirements.  Good luck!

Flowertot

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 23:14 »
I grow about 4 Tuscan kale and 4 PSB for 2 adults and 2 children (1 child likes just PSB and the other likes both) so I think your quantities will be fine unless you really really like eating them.

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 21:16 »
More questions.....thanks again in advance!

I'm unsure what to do. Was hoping these would go where the spuds are currently but they are nowhere near ready. Can I put them in an available space in the ground and them move them ie dig them up and put them where the spuds are when they have been harvested??

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 22:28 »
You can put them in the ground and then transplant them again. They should be OK in their pots for a week or two, or you could put them in bigger pots. They prefer a shady spot to hot sun.

You do not have to wait until the whole row of potatoes is lifted, you can plant a few each time you dig some. Just make sure you have pigeon protection. After potatoes the ground is usually quite loose. Make sure you plant them firmly. A heel against the plant usually does the trick.

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 12:08 »
Just to add something that's pretty obvious but nevertheless didn't occur to me for a couple of years - if you choose which potatoes to harvest first according to your psb spacing, rather than just working your way along the row, you can get them in sooner. Just in case there's anyone out there like me!

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 12:35 »
Good thinking Batman

xx
Can I grow kale seedlings in a tray?

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 17, 2007, 10:22
by jacnal
xx
PSB & Kale seedlings eaten by catapillers

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 01:05
by devonbarmygardener
xx
getting cabbage white eggs off a few hundred kale seedlings?

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 13:59
by yummy
xx
Kale help please!

Started by Annad83 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 13, 2014, 17:10
by Totty

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 35 queries.