Rhubarb recipes?

• 30 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: Rhubarb recipes?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 20:45 »
I make a rhubarb and orange baked cheesecake with sour cream topping, and an apple and rhubarb streusel cake.
If you want the recipe for these.

I'd love any that don't have cheese in, I dont eat any cheese as it makes me very very poorly.  :(

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 21:01 »
I have just made this (adding some chopped stem ginger to the sponge) and it is pretty good:
http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/638936
And this is one of my favourites too:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3292/rhubarb-and-custard-pie-with-butter-crumble

I really like the look of the first one. I'm off to check my ingredients now.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Beetroot queen

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 22:14 »
The rhubarb chutney looks really good, a rich chocolate colour, tastes sharp with the malt vinegar but I think it will be a good one, made 8 jars. Took mine out slightly funnier than normal as hubby wants a more spreadable chutney for his sandwiches as he doesn't have butter or marg.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 13:52 »
I make a rhubarb and orange baked cheesecake with sour cream topping, and an apple and rhubarb streusel cake.
If you want the recipe for these.

I'd love any that don't have cheese in, I dont eat any cheese as it makes me very very poorly.  :(

Does butter make you poorly too? The other recipe has butter in; mind you, you could sub marg for the butter.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 13:54 »
Mrs bee
I am ok with butter, marg and milk. It must be something they add in, in the cheese process. Luckily I can't stand the smell of cheese either so just the smell has me reaching for q bucket.

I was offered testing to see what it is but I have a wee one with enough issues ( food related) I don't need to add mine, I can live a cheese free life

I am going to have a go with my next batch of rhubarb.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 18:36 »
This one goes down well with the family
SPICY RHUBARB CHARLOTTE
  • 1lb rhubarb
  • 6oz demerara sugar
  • 2oz butter and bits for topping
  • ½ level teasp. cinnamon
  • 6oz fresh white breadcrumbs
  • Gas 4/180°C/350°F, 1½ /2 pt pie dish, serves 4
  • Wash & trim rhubarb and cut into short lengths, mix with 2oz of the demerara.
  • Melt 2oz butter in pan, remove from heat and mix in the cinnamon, crumbs and remaining sugar.
  • Sprinkle a thin layer of the coated crumbs on the bottom of the pie dish.  Cover with half the rhubarb and another layer of crumb mixture.  Add the remaining rhubarb and a thick layer of crumbs.  Dot with small pieces of butter and place on a baking sheet.
  • Bake in the centre of the oven 45-50 mins until crisp and golden brown, and the rhubarb is cooked.
  • Serve with custard or cream. (Tip-top or ice cream is good too)
Anne

Auntiemogs

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 18:58 »
Pureed and mixed into whipped cream...also freezes well in small pots... :tongue2:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Beetroot queen

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 19:00 »
Pureed and mixed into whipped cream...also freezes well in small pots... :tongue2:

Ooooohhh more details please. Does it freeze like ice cream, do you cook rhubarb first I am guessing

Auntiemogs

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 05:29 »
Ooooohhh more details please. Does it freeze like ice cream, do you cook rhubarb first I am guessing
Cook with sugar to taste, mash or puree & fold into whipped cream.  Chill and eat.  Also works well with blackberries and other soft fruit.  If you freeze it, let it soften for a couple of mins and eat as ice cream or defrost and it's rhubarb fool.  :)

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 09:43 »
I have just made this (adding some chopped stem ginger to the sponge) and it is pretty good:
http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/638936

I made this yesterday - it was great  :D
I used sponge flour (and left out the baking powder) which made the sponge really light but should have added more ginger than the recipe called for I think.

I also ended up using too small a tin so the crumble overflowed down the sides a bit but this made some yummy chewy bits! - my next largest tin was too big and the sponge mix looked a bit lost in it.

Definitely recommend this one  :D :D

allotmentann

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 16:46 »
Yes, it is good. I did add extra ginger powder to the sponge and added some to the crumble as well. I like ginger! :)

lynrotherham

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 18:26 »
My husband saw a recipe on TV for home made rhubarb ripple icecream, I do not have the ingredients to make the icecream so I used shop bought. Softened the rhubarb in a microwave, once cool put in a blender with the icecream and mix, I blended it too long so added more rhubarb and mixed with a spoon. Put the mix back into the icecream tub and refreeze. I used raspberry merangue icecream so I did not need to add sugar.

mjw

• wychbury road allotments
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 22:52 »

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 19:08 »
These rhubarb muffins are superb.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1263686/rhubarb-crumble-muffins
Oh I think I need to try some of those  :)

allotmentann

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 09:24 »
Rhubarb crumble cake sounds nice. Hopefully next year I will be able to pick some rhubarb and try all the recipes out. Had to buy my rhubarb this year as my plants are just babies. :(

xx
Rhubarb recipes

Started by celjaci on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 00:22
by Stripey_cat
xx
Rhubarb Recipes

Started by ang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

28 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 22:27
by Dabhand
xx
thinking of rhubarb recipes

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 14:11
by Aidy
xx
can not see recipes

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 08:54
by joyfull

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 34 queries.