Green Manure question

• 13 Replies

Lottie Mary

Green Manure question
« on: August 31, 2010, 20:45 »
I searched earlier for topics on Green Manure - as I'm still clearing my allotment of weeds at the moment, but am considering planting some green manures for the winter to improve the soil. 

I saw someone previously recommended a website called greenmanures.co.uk - and their winter mix looks ideal, but does anyone know about quantities?  My allotment is 17m x 5m and probably a third of it will be dedicated to Christmas spuds and onions, and the existing rhubard /strawberries/raspberries, but the rest I want to use for the green manure.  The website sells seeds in 50g packets upwards.  Any ideas on what sort of surface area that 50g covers?

Thanks very much! :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Green Manure question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 20:50 »
I don't know the answer about the volumes (quite interested in the answer though!), but just thought I'd highlight what you've written about Christmas spuds.

It's getting a little late to put them in now, and you'll need to have a plan to protect them from frost - usually it's recommended to plant them in pots so you can move them under cover when it gets colder.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Lottie Mary

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 20:57 »
I don't know the answer about the volumes (quite interested in the answer though!), but just thought I'd highlight what you've written about Christmas spuds.

It's getting a little late to put them in now, and you'll need to have a plan to protect them from frost - usually it's recommended to plant them in pots so you can move them under cover when it gets colder.

Thanks for your reply Yorkie.  I ordered my spuds from Suttons, but they've only just arrived!  I am very new to potato growing though so your advice is appreciated.  Would a fleece help with the cold weather provided I get them in this week??  The forecast here in Essex looks good for the remainder of the week, so I should have some remainder of warmth to get them established before the cold starts...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 21:01 »
If you get them in pronto they may well have enough growing time (bear in mind that growth slows down as day length and temps fall).

As for fleece, you might get away with it - just bear in mind it's a risk and keep a very close eye on the forecast (air temps as well as ground temps).  Also check with any lotty neighbours whether you are in a frost pocket area as that will mean more frosts.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 21:12 »
You need to actually measure the area that you want to sow with the green manure.

The bottom of the page on greenmanure.co.uk shows the quantities of seed required for a given area, so you can calculate how much you need to buy ;)

http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/winter_mix.htm

JRRD

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 21:27 »
I would also say you need to factor in that even after the calculations, if you are heavy handed like me ( so I discovered) you will end up scattering a 15sqm ( i think it was) packet of phacelia over a 9sqm patch of ground !!!

So when I do a bit more of a bulk buy I think I need to over purchase, to account for not having a clue how thinly to spread a handful of seed !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 21:27 »
Thanks for that link, MoS  :D

Lottie Mary

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 04:42 »
You need to actually measure the area that you want to sow with the green manure.

The bottom of the page on greenmanure.co.uk shows the quantities of seed required for a given area, so you can calculate how much you need to buy ;)

http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/winter_mix.htm

Thanks for the link - I was literally just on that page and can't believe I missed it!  ::)

Swing Swang

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 07:20 »
It's easy enough not to get too heavy handed. Divide your seed and divide your land then spread the sub-divided quantity over the sub-divided land.

If this sounds like too much work with chemists scales then look at your packet of seed and choose an appropriately sized container - say a thimble/bottletop/eggcup/or even the 1/4 teaspoon measure that came with your breadmachine!

Count out how many 'thimbles' you have in your packet. Mentally subdivide your plot by the number of thimbles, and broadcast the seed accordingly. Simples!

"The best way to eat the elephant standing in your path is to cut it up into little pieces."

SS

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 10:50 »
I have the Winter Mix germinating now, looks good so far. I will be sowing more as the space becomes available.
http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

JohnB47

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 11:45 »
I've always wondered about green manures.

What happens if some of the winter mix sets seed before you dig it all in? The individual types in the mix seem to have different 'periods' implying that some will go to seed earlier than others. Would letting them seed and then digging/spreading them all around not be a problem?

In that sense, would it not be better to stick to one type of seed and then be able to dig it in before it seeds?

Or perhaps I'm naive to think that my plot is anything but a mass of seeds just waiting for me to show them the light by digging?

harry

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 12:45 »

I put my Christmas spuds in last weekend and plan to cover them with fleece when the weather gets cold. :wub:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Lottie Mary

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 18:39 »

I put my Christmas spuds in last weekend and plan to cover them with fleece when the weather gets cold. :wub:

Thanks Harry.  It's still quite warm here and Septembers for us are usually quite kind so I think I'll risk it!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 22:32 »
It's not just the temperature which is important, but the day length.  Make sure they go in asap.

xx
Green manure question

Started by Redgoat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2017, 17:34
by Redgoat
xx
Another green manure question!

Started by Moonshine132435 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 09, 2012, 16:05
by Moonshine132435
xx
Question on green manure.

Started by jaycee on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 24, 2007, 22:31
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Question regarding overwintering green manure and clay soil

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 08, 2014, 23:42
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 40 queries.