plastic in tea bags

• 30 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: Tea bags
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 19:22 »
 I never thought of plastic being in tea  bags before you mentioned it on this topic but having said that we use quite an abundance of tea bags [Yorkshire ] for us and then there in the compost bin I don't think I'm going to give up my tea bags or leave of dumping them in the compost bin

although I do use bio-degradable plastic on the allotments for some planting and recycle spent plastic where possible

Christine

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 09:44 »
Teapigs teabags don't compost at all. And they are expensive. Butif you want to give someone a present of unusual flavours such as jelly and icecream or chilli, well that's your brand.  ;) However I don't and use teabags that do compost.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 10:30 »
I know that every little counts but is is it even worth debating? I'm an avid tea drinker and probably use 6 bags a day. I doubt if a year's worth of bags would half fill a bucket

arh

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 11:33 »
Thank you Eblana and Snowdrops for the teapot brand names, will investigate. arh.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:34 by arh »

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 20:05 »
 Planning on making plastic free tea bags.Teabags with plastic-free seals will be made | Daily Mail Online

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 08:26 »
For a report in 2017 on major suppliers of tea bags, have a look here   
moralfibres.co.uk/is-there-plastic-in-your-tea   it appears most do contain some plastics!
Thanks Engineer,  a very interesting article, hopefully manufacturers might start changing their ways.  My concern was mainly for the tiny bits of plastic remaining in the soil and general environment forever, rather than my compost.  I am now using more loose tea and will tear open any used teabags.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 08:30 »
Eblana, do you have a "brand/name" for this tea pot please? :unsure:
I’ve just bought a lovely little teapot, just holds 2mugs if you get the 550ml size.  It has an internal filter and comes in lots of different colours.  The make is ForLife and it’s called a stump teapot.  It’s not cheap though..

Beloved Porcupine

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 09:13 »
The amount of plastic is supposed to be be tiny (depends on make), I think to seal the bags.  I use them at work mostly, as  loose tea in an office is  a pain (and it still better than those plastic nespresso-y things!).  I have not noticed any accumulation of plastic in the compost/garden but I am hoping they find a new solution.  Coop seems to begetting something sorted v soon.

Recently, I bought myself a nice stainless steel filter that sits in cups or pots, and got some tea at a lovely independent tea shop.  So much to choose from! Better tea at a better price AND you get to make the strength you like.   :D

The other thing I use is an unbleached paper tea sac (bought from tea merchants) that I put in the pot.  The advantage over filtering as it comes out is that once it reaches the right strength, you take it out- no stew-y tea.  Then straight into the compost.
I can resist anything except temptation.

chrissie B

tea bags , compost
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 23:01 »
Watched the one show this evening and was suprised to hear that on the slot they are doing now on plastice , environment  ect that tea bags contain plastic  and they said that we are all composting this plastic and putting into our gardens , they didnt say if it was harmful , just wondered if anyone else had heard of this aparently its on the stuff that keeps the bag together .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Goosegirl

Re: tea bags , compost
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 13:34 »
I heard that too and was surprised as I thought they were made of paper, but it does explain why they don't rot down properly.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

chrissie B

Re: tea bags , compost
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 14:27 »
I compost mine and they rot if i may say shop name 4 letters begining with l , i suppose just empty out discard the bag .
chrissie b

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
plastic in tea bags
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 18:03 »
I've just signed a petition online asking major teabag manufacturers to find an alternative to the plastic that is in the teabags today.  it's here if anyone wants to participate:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/remove-plastics-from-teabags?bucket=email-blast-15_3_2018_teabags_petitionblast_150318

8doubles

Re: plastic in tea bags
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 09:05 »
If you are going back to loose leaf tea the Japanese style cast iron teapots with filters come in all sizes .
You can also use them on a gas burner in the plot shed if you want ! :)

rowbow

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 10:04 »
We use Waitrose Dutche breakfast tea bags, the best tasting loose tea is Tragathnon? ( Cornish) tea.  :D

chrissie B

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 15:01 »
I looked on the box and could not find any mention of what the bag is made up of or glued together with , thought it would have to icase of allergys.
Chrissie b

xx
Tea Bags

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

23 Replies
Last post May 02, 2020, 11:57
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Seal Easy Bags

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 17:01
by Lardman
moved
MOVED: Toaster Bags

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post January 27, 2023, 12:51
by mumofstig
xx
Grow bags - too garish...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2020, 19:57
by wighty

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 54 queries.