egg peritonitis and strange object

• 24 Replies

cheeps

Re: egg peritonitis and strange object
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 16:13 »
Hi Tanya
Is Milo still ok?  Hettie is over whatever she had but is still recovering from the accident she then had.  She is trying to eat but in reality is managing very little.  She aims at the food but misses it.  None stop worry at the moment. Still, today is a beautiful mild, sunny, day and my heart can't help but be lifted by it.

TanyaGibson

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 02:04 »
Hi Cheeps,
Any news about Hettie?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 05:06 »
yes hang on in  there, things will improve and you will find the good days far outweigh the bad ones  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 05:10 »
Pepsi100 a lash is where the chicken sheds part of her reproductive tract, usually they dont lay again afterwards. They can come in differing sizes and shapes but often resemble a lump of wafer thin ham squished together and sometimes when you dissect it there can be a little clear fluid inside. They can be quite rubbery and can range from pale pink through to a yellowy white in colour.

TanyaGibson

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 01:33 »
Hi Cheeps,
Hope Hettie is continuing to get better.  Milo is back to her old self and has been off the antibiotics for about a week (after a month-long course).  Fingers crossed they've done the trick and she continues to live the dream.  My attention has now turned to catching the blasted mice that have started to make their way inside my home - had on in the bedroom the other night which was not pleasant!  Ginger, my oldest girl, has chased and caught a few outside (having caught them by their tails Ginger runs around the yard with them in her beak until she's far enough away from the others to kill and devour), so I momentarily thought about having her in the house to catch the others - much more effective than a cat that will just play with them!   Anyway, have laid pet-friendly baits and hope they'll do the trick - but I'd be interested in hearing who others deal with mice infestations (this is the first one I've had in the two years I've had chooks).
Cheers,
Tanya

joyfull

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 19:03 »
my chickens catch and eat any mice outside but living in the country surrounded by fields we have always had mice come in the house. Previously we have used a plastic version of the old little nipper traps but this year I plugged in two transmitters (one upstairs and the other downstairs), these are supposed to emit a sound that rodents hate (so no good if any of your family have pet rats, mice, gerbils etc.). This winter we have not had a single one so they seem to work.

grinling

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 22:13 »
bucket with a ramp. pierce a plastic bottle...I smeared mine in glue and then chicken corn, then place a stick through the bottle and rest on bucket top with ramp next to it...mouse goes up ramp, onto bottle and fulls in.
Better than plastic traps as mouse ate it's way out.

TanyaGibson

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 07:20 »
Thanks for your tips, folks.  I have bought a transmitter, so am hoping it does the trick (it has so far, touch wood).  Living in the country I know to expect mice, but I still hate the little blighters (am actually petrified of them) . . . we live bwteeen two centres that are currently experiencing mouce plagues so I'm expecting to see more of them as we head into winter.   :(

Aussiegirl

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 13:28 »
Hi,

I'm completely new to this website and have been looking for a while for an answer to a question similar to Tanya's. I have a 2 yr old white leghorn who has been looking miserable for a couple of days and off her feed.  Today she spent a fair while in the nesting box and when she moved away she had laid/pooped three longish creamy yellow items.  They looked waxy but were in fact kind of rubbery.  There was no blood that I could see.  I'm wondering if this is related to a bigger problem though.  I have three chooks (1 Isa Brown, 1 Black Australorp and the leghorn) which laid just about an egg a day each for the first 18 months.  Then, just before Christmas the laying became more spasmodic (bearing in mind that here in the southern hemisphere it is warm now). Often the eggs that were being laid were so soft they were more like plastic bags than eggs. I now haven't had an egg between them for about a month.  Two of them have just completed their autumn moult.  But could this be egg drop syndrome?  And if so, do the chooks get over it? 

Any advice really appreciated.

joyfull

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 08:15 »
moulting takes so much out of a hen that their egg laying will either stop or slow down. Do your hens have access to crushed oyster shell all the time, they need this to provide a source of calcium.

xx
Strange object.

Started by Ribbit on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 21:33
by whistler
xx
Strange looking object found?? Advice needed.

Started by shaggybfc on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 02:04
by Paul Plots
xx
Egg peritonitis

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2007, 22:49
by redjane11
xx
Egg peritonitis in an old chook?

Started by TanyaGibson on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2015, 01:41
by TanyaGibson

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 34 queries.