Crimson Crush tomato family

• 11 Replies

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
Crimson Crush tomato family
« on: January 10, 2022, 17:39 »
Having had great success with Crimson Crush, I'd like to try something similar but smaller. DT Brown has Cocktail Crush and Suttons have Crimson Cherry, Crimson Plum, and Crimson Cocktail. Has anyone tried any of these?

Growster...

Re: Crimson Crush tomato family
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 18:12 »
Going to try 'Cocktail Crush' this year, TJ!

They say they're resisitant to blight, and look quite good on the packet, so here we go!

I'll let you know how we got on in July!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 18:18 »
I grew several of these last year, as well as Mountain Magic and Ferline. Late Blight was particularly vicious toward the end of last Summer and most plants were wiped out almost overnight.

That included the "Crimson" stable I am sorry to say. In previous years Crush has survived well, but not last year.

Mountain Magic had a set back, but then rallied, new growth, more flowers and I picked the last outdoor tomatoes on 1st November

However, it was an exceptional year, so I shall trying them again this Summer, in the hope that condtions are less severe
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 19:15 »
I haven't grown the newer types, but Crimson Crush fruited right up to the end, here, where it was behind a windbreak! The couple of plants which were fully out in the open had to be pulled out earlier. So I'll do all of them behind netting this year :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 19:53 »
I'll do all of them behind netting this year :)

What type of netting please.  That sounds like a plan I would be interested in  :)

I lost all mine last year to late blight -  Ferline, Crimson Crush and Crimson Blush.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 05:58 »
Mountain Magic are pretty good at the blight resistance, so it's a thought...

Of course, Bordeaux Mixture is as well, but some say you can't get it these days!

Must be because it's French!

;0

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 09:49 »
I'll do all of them behind netting this year :)
What type of netting please.  That sounds like a plan I would be interested in  :)
Let me tell you the story...  :D
When I first planted out my squash, the wind was blowing them all over the place, so I put up some old bits of folded in half debris netting, which wasn't quite enough for 4 sides of my big bed.  When the toms were ready, they went in along the inside of the North 'fence'. The last 2 plants went where the netting wasn't quite long enough to reach the corner. Those 2 were the only ones which copped it.
Seems more than just a happy coincidence to me?

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 11:32 »
Perfect description of how blight moves around Mum!

I always plant outside toms in pots against an east facing wall, as the prevailing wind doesn't really get to them in that position.

Touch wood, they've been safe for several years now, even when blight was all over the place, like last year!

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 16:55 »
I find that Mountain Magic always seems to do very well, I also picked the last of mine into November. Crimson Crush is fine, and I've tried the Crimson Cocktail, which was also very healthy.  I did grow Crimson Blush a couple of years ago, but found the fruits far too bulky and packed together which encouraged rot and distortion. The flavour wasn't much to write home about either, so I've not bothered with that one again. On the whole they are all pretty strong and healthy, giving good crops, so I suppose it's just down to personal taste.  For the best flavour I still grow Apero in the greenhouse for a small, oval tasty, pop -it -in -your -mouth while -you're -working tomato.  They're a bit like fresh peas - not many of them actually make it into the kitchen!

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 06:20 »
Is the flavour of 'Crimson Cocktail' OK?

I really prefer a slightly sharper taste, and usually rely on 'Shirley' for that (Who - Mrs G?), and this will be the first year we won't grow 'Sungold', as while they really do motor ahead, after a while, they take up a lot of room in the GH, and get to split etc., far too soon! My record was early July for them, but I guess I can wait a couple of weeks nowadays!

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 08:54 »
Is the flavour of 'Crimson Cocktail' OK?

I really prefer a slightly sharper taste, and usually rely on 'Shirley' for that (Who - Mrs G?), and this will be the first year we won't grow 'Sungold', as while they really do motor ahead, after a while, they take up a lot of room in the GH, and get to split etc., far too soon! My record was early July for them, but I guess I can wait a couple of weeks nowadays!

They are ok as far as a more or less guaranteed crop outdoors goes, but either Apero or Santorini greenhouse toms have much, much better flavour and are both prolific croppers, so I usually grow these in addition to the blight free varieties.

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 20:36 »
Hmm... thinking Apero might be the way to go. Thanks all, very helpful.

xx
Crimson Crush tomato

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 10:21
by jaydig
xx
Crimson Crush tomato - what's the verdict?

7 Replies
Last post October 04, 2016, 12:54
by Puenktchen
xx
Crimson Crush tomato - blight resistant?

6 Replies
Last post February 04, 2017, 08:27
by Lardman
xx
crimson crush tomato growing 2016

Started by whitehill1 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 01, 2016, 12:44
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 52 queries.