Crimson crush- blight results?

• 43 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Crimson crush- blight results?
« on: September 10, 2015, 17:00 »
So, the inevitable happened and my tomato plants have got (well had, they are pretty much dead now) blight.
This was Losetto

This was Ferline

This was Fantasio

And this was Crimson Crush

I would be interested in hearing others results.  Of course, I can not say whether they have blight or not but it certainly looks like they are affected, just not to the extent of other varieties with "some" blight tolerance.  The fruit remains "blotch" free which is the main thing.  Down the allotment blight is at a much earlier stage so I will be watching my Crimson Crush ones closely to see how they are effected.

m1ckz

Re: Crimson crush- blight results?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 17:02 »
no blight here   but if its blight shoud be destroyed    urgently

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 18:28 »
The point of Crimson Crush is that it will tolerate some blight
This is not just a blight resistant tomato it is a blight beating tomato. Never be disappointed with your tomato crop when blight strikes again.  Ideal for the home or the allotment.

Please note: With regards to the nature of the blight resistance, plants can still show infection (up to 10-15%) of leaves, stems etc. without effecting fruit quality or yield. The plants having the resistance to be able to grow away from the attack.
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable+Plants/Popular+Vegetable+Plants/Tomato+Plants/Tomato+Plants+-+Crimson+Crush_MH4079.htm

So according to the blurb - you don't have to do this  ;)
if its blight should be destroyed    urgently

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 19:49 »
I spose that might depend where they are - my neighbour has an entire bed of blighted tomatoes that have been there, black and twisted for over a week. All my outside toms bar CC are blighted now.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 20:35 »
I just think that if there's blight around, then there's not much you can do to avoid it anyway....what's the point in growing a plant that can tolerate blight, if you're going to pull it out when it does?  :wacko:

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 20:40 »
I had three Crimson Crush plants from Dobies.  One was planted in my greenhouse, one in the garden against a wall, and one on the allotment.  So far we haven't had blight, but the one in the greenhouse didn't grow as well, and only had three trusses on it.  The one in the garden against the wall grew to about five feet or so, and had about four good trusses on it, but the star was the one on the allotment.  This has grown to about five feet high, and is the size of a shrub.  There are about a dozen good trusses on it, and the tomatoes are slowly ripening one or two at a time.  If, and when we get blight I'll see what happens to the plant, but I'm sure if we'd had a good summer without such cold nights, the crop from just one plant would have been impressive.

If there are seeds available next year, then I will definitely give these a go on the allotment.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 20:45 »
It sounds like they maybe more useful if you get early blight then?  Cause obviously they are not growing much now, in fact I think I took the tips out a month back!  At this point it's useful to have a tomato where the fruit remains blight free and useable.  My two plants down the allotment were planted directly into the bed and are much more vigorous than this "test" subject.  I'd grow them again :)  But, i'd only pay for seeds, not the plants.

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 10:04 »
No blight here at all, so not really tested.   The one at the allotment in the soil has done well with a reasonable crop of good sized fruit and a good flavour too.   It is very vigorous and after a few days away when I couldn't keep an eye on it, it threw side shoots everywhere and has turned into a determinate looking bush.   Fruit still a good size though.

The one I planted in a pot in the garden, again outside, never developed a growing point (I think those sent to me from Dobie's were rooted cuttings), is only about 9" tall and has no fruit.   

I would grow again but definitely in open ground.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:32 by AnneB »

Headgardener22

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 17:27 »
I had free ones from Dobies and some bigger ones as part of a £5.00 deal from Suttons (they're the same company behind the brand). I've grown them in the open ground at the allotment and in pots at home. The ones at the allotment suffered from the cold in June and struggled to get going.

There's been no blight on my plot (I noticed another holder a few plots away had lost all their tomatoes). The Crimson Crush are no better than the test plants (Alicante and Moneymaker) that I've also grown at the allotment.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 20:17 »
Interesting thread here, as next year, we'll all be wondering if they're worth buying.

We had two freebies from Dobies, and the fruit was on minimal trusses, nice toms but; 'adequate'!

I'm trying to keep their side shoots going in the greenhouse, just to see if they aspire to working again next year, but don't hold your breath...

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 13:37 »
I won't purchase plants again... The fruit on the crimson crush has also got signs of blight on it now so is next to useless.  As far as i can tell blight just kills it slightly more slowly than the other blight tolerant/ resistant species. 

Would be interested to see how it fared with early blight.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 13:41 »
My plant is one of the last still standing on our allotments, I picked 3 toms off of it yesterday - everybody else's are black and rotten, though.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 15:12 »
Mine's still going too. Healthy green leaves and what might be a spot of blight on the main stem. It is 4m away from a whole bed of black blighted tomatoes which have been there for 3 weeks.

Will post photos later - need to go and pick kale when it stops raining.

cadalot

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 16:33 »
I picked all of my tomatoes last week at home and the allotment with the exception of the crimson Crush as I wanted to see how blight tolerant they really are. I will see and report how they got on over the weekend weather permitting. 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 18:30 »
My plant is one of the last still standing on our allotments, I picked 3 toms off of it yesterday - everybody else's are black and rotten, though.

The same is true for my plot neighbour, who have six CC plants alongside a range of other "blight resistant" cultivars. They have all succumbed bar CC and these plants have produced a huge crops of very tasty tomatoes.

I shall be growing some from seed next year  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Crimson crush and blight

Started by Anton 2 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2021, 17:58
by Anton 2
xx
Crimson Crush tomato - blight resistant?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 04, 2017, 08:27
by Lardman
xx
Crimson Crush

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 23, 2023, 18:04
by Anton
xx
Crimson crush

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 19, 2015, 22:04
by Nicki85

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 30 queries.