Living fencing

• 11 Replies

Ema

Living fencing
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:18 »
Hi all

The plot I'm soon to be taking on is open to the public. My plot is quite near the entrance so I'm looking to create some defined barriers to keep the public out.

Ideally I dont want to spend a lot I love willow but just can't seem to find any cheap to make some supports for plants to grow up.

Initially I'm not to worried about rabbits I know a lot of the plot holders on site have fenced their whole plots of with mesh which is a sure sign the're a problem.

I am thinking of using red currents down one side simply becaus I have about 20 small plants of them. Prehaps some rasberries on one of the smaller sides.

What do you use if anything as a screen?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Living fencing
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:28 »
Why is the site open to the public rather than just the allotment holders ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:29 »
One side of mine already had a waist high lavender hedge, on the other I've planted raspberries.
Also have tayberries and boysenberries on wires.
The other end grows tall peas or beans every year - sorted!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:44 by mumofstig »

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 12:32 »
Good idea to use fruit bushes, Ema, but Autumn rasps need to be cut down to the ground, and summer ones are still pretty wispy to start with, but will thicken up to a certain extent.

How about a trained blackberry or three, and perhaps a few gooseberry bushes? Black currants will always have a few stems throughout the winter as well, but if you're wanting to deter all borders, as well as rabbits, there will really have to be a wire net or similar.

(just seen Mum's comment - tayberries are ideal as they just attack everyone within five feet if there's a following wind...;0)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:33 by Growster... »

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 13:23 »
Blackthorn (sloe) makes great hedging and can be picked up fairly cheap

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 13:54 »
Blackthorn (sloe) makes great hedging and ...

... sloe gin ;)

Ema

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 14:06 »
Sally its a National Trust site so it's part of the attraction it's quite rural so there won't be many naughty kids.

hmm I think there are quite a few rules on the site I've not seen my agreement but others have said you have to ask permission for perennials so I don't think a sloe hedge would go down well as it would be a real pain to dig up.

I love lavender so that's a good plan. Also sweet peas will be useful in my first summer when I don't want to spend too much.

I have about 20 cuttings in pots of wild rasberries from a friends they only get to about 2ft in height but were delicious. They might grow taller in better soil but I'll have to wait and see. Prehaps just some posts with some rope behind the rasberries will be enough to keep people out. I'm not a fan of tying rasberries back as the birds can see all the fruit that way.

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 15:12 »
Sally its a National Trust site so it's part of the attraction it's quite rural so there won't be many naughty kids.

hmm I think there are quite a few rules on the site I've not seen my agreement but others have said you have to ask permission for perennials so I don't think a sloe hedge would go down well as it would be a real pain to dig up.

Blackthorn is no more perennial than Redcurrant

Can't see raspberries being much of a detterent, would be more likely to attract unwanted guests if they are ripe  :tongue2:

SG6

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 17:32 »
Willow is a tree and will given a lack of control become a tree, I have seen a good number of hazel hedges turn into hazel trees over the years.

Raspberry's will spread, they will be a nice upright(ish) stick for a year then the runners run.

Blackthorn is another tree, and a spiky one.

One option, which I have seen used, is apples, trained as a step over, catch being you train them as such so not immediate.

Think you could use redcurrents as well, sure I have seen these trained at West Dean as well as the apples.

I have a couple of half standard goosberrys, if you bought a few then simply plant them in a row as a barrier. Just not cheap to get several.

Tayberry's trained along wires as said would cetainly deter anyone.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 19:33 »
We have an ongoing problem on several plots where tenants thought growing willow is a good idea.  A couple of years later, the plants are 12+ feet high and the trunks too thick to easily prune now. 
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 20:18 »
Willow is a tree and will given a lack of control become a tree, I have seen a good number of hazel hedges turn into hazel trees over the years.

Blackthorn is another tree, and a spiky one.

Can really second this!

We have moved into a new place where the hazel, willow and hawthorn hedging round the place has been neglected for years and it is an enormous battle getting it back to being hedges not trees!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Ema

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 23:00 »
sorry i was thinking more along the lines of loose willow hurdles with plants growing up them.

I wouldnt get away with planting living willow or blackthorn or any proper hedging

xx
FENCING

Started by apes1978 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2006, 13:26
by Oliver
xx
Best way of fencing

Started by charliesmum on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2007, 21:48
by noshed
xx
Fencing

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 06:08
by Rangerkris
xx
Allotment fencing

Started by ferret1988 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 21, 2013, 23:43
by surbie100

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 40 queries.