Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
40 Years ago
« on: October 08, 2019, 22:39 »
Thee most iconic photo was taken.

Seems like yesterday.
FB_IMG_1570567553404.jpg
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mrs bouquet

Re: 40 Years ago
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 17:15 »
Aidy hi, forgive my ignorance, I have looked at the 'photo twice.    Is that you ?     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 19:56 »
Sorry Aidy might be iconic to you but I never could understand smashing instruments, I remember crying when my grandparents took me to watch the fire brigade carry a piano up their practice tower & push it out at the top, then others had competitions to see who could smash a piano in the least time.......you see I was a budding pianist who wasn’t allowed a piano 😥😥  :lol: :lol: 
why has this forum changed & doesn’t show my emojis any more :mad:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 19:57 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 21:19 »
Aidy hi, forgive my ignorance, I have looked at the 'photo twice.    Is that you ?     Mrs Bouquet
:lol: :lol: I was a tad younger (14) back then.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 09:18 »
It is the album cover for London Calling by The Clash, so no, not Aidy  :lol:

Smashing things up both in reality and as a wider metaphor for shaking up society and the music industry at the time were key to punk, so it became an iconic image :)

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 16:04 »
It's September 21st, 1979, at a Clash show at New York's Palladium, and Paul Simonon's bass has only seconds to live. "The show had gone quite well," says Simonon, "but for me inside, it just wasn't working well, so I suppose I took it out on the bass. If I was smart, I would have got the spare bass and used that one, because it wasn't as good as the one I smashed up."

Although it might be of interest that the first "actual" smashing took place on the 20th, not as credited, and pictured on the album....Anyway, there's always Pete.......

Pete Townsend on smashing guitars | Rolling Stone Mag | 1968

When did you start smashing guitars?
“It happened by complete accident the first time. We were just kicking around in a club which we played every Tuesday and I was playing the guitar and it hit the ceiling. It broke and it kind of shocked me 'cause I wasn't ready for it to go. I didn't particularly want it to go but it went. And I was expecting an incredible thing, it being so precious to me, and I was expecting everybody to go, "Wow he's broken his guitar," but nobody did anything which made me kind of angry in a way, and determined to get this precious event noticed by the audience. I proceeded to make a big thing of breaking the guitar. I pounced all over the stage with it and I threw the bits on the stage and I picked up my spare guitar and carried on as though I really meant to do it.”

Were you happy about it?
“Deep inside I was very unhappy because the thing had got broken. It got around and the next week the people came and they came up to me and they said ‘Oh, we heard all about it, man; it's 'bout time someone gave it to a guitar’ and all this kind of stuff. It kind of grew from there, we'd go to another town and people would say ‘Oh yea, we heard that you smashed a guitar.’ It built and built and built and built and built and built until one day, a very important daily newspaper came to see us and said, ‘Oh, we hear you're the group that smashes their guitars up. Well we hope you're going to do it tonight, because we're from the Daily Mail. If you do, you'll probably make the front pages.’”

...........It all seems a very very long time ago.........but you're right Aidy, like yesterday.
The year I got my Equity card.

Br.

Who smash.jpg

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 09:24 »
Aidy, if that was 40 years ago and you were 14 year old, that means you are 54 now  !!!!!! you're winding us up, why you look like a "greek god"     :D  Mrs Bouquet

Christine

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 19:46 »
You should never give away any clue to your age on tinternet. It spoils your image.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 10:50 »
I was given a left-hand bass some years ago, and wanted to change it to right hand.

After many hours in the shed, the Growsterbass emerged, pristine and working...

Veneers – old MFI chest circa 1969
Body – old kitchen worktop
Tail and cross bridge – piece of oak from Dad’s greenhouse
Strings – old redundant stock from brother-in-law’s shop in 1971
Original neck, held in place by pieces of beech from a 1920’s wardrobe.
Knobs – same beech wardrobe

And…

Electrical kit – from old left handed bass, found forgotten in younger Daught’s chum’s flat twenty years ago.
Design and manufacture – Growster Enterprises Inc.

And I wish I could play it like Norman Watt-Roy, in Ian Dury’s ‘Hit me with your rhythm stick’. (Mrs Growster might also hit me with it if I leave it hanging around, cluttering up the place and gathering dust…)!

...but I really wouldn't want to break it...

DSCN2189.jpg
DSCN2187.jpg

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 11:39 »
Growster that looks amazing, and worth millions I have no doubt ?      Mrs B

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 22:28 »
Aidy, if that was 40 years ago and you were 14 year old, that means you are 54 now  !!!!!! you're winding us up, why you look like a "greek god"     :D  Mrs Bouquet
Yea with dodgy knees, fingers n ankles  ;) but at least me hair is still there .....
aidy.jpg
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 09:29 by Aidy »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 10:25 »
and very nice hair it is.   :D  Mrs B

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 13:47 »
AAAhhhggg........Have you no shame! this is a gardening website. I don't know how you can even think about posting such an insensitive picture.
What on earth were you thinking, the ques at the therapist will be out of the door.
I'm sure someone with the necessary photoshop skills could help us all out or perhaps you could see yourself elevated to hero status and post another more appropriate shot.....without the weed growing through the decking...................my eyes, my eyes.

Knees and elbow for me

xx
Next few years, maybe...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post January 23, 2018, 18:03
by Growster...
xx
This years man flu ...

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post March 16, 2018, 10:44
by madcat
xx
Is it going to be one of those years again?

Started by al78 on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2018, 16:39
by sunshineband
xx
100 years ago...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2020, 18:47
by TonyB.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 49 queries.