Two lots of Brassica in one year?

• 7 Replies

Kirpi

Two lots of Brassica in one year?
« on: June 24, 2012, 20:23 »
If I plant out Spring Cabbages in what is to be next year's brassica bed, and then plant out Summer or Winter Cabbages in the same spot once the Spring Cabbages have finished, is this likely to cause Club Root problems or would this count as one year of Brassica in a rotation?

If I shouldn't follow Spring Cabbage with summer or Winter Cabbages in one year, what else do folks put in afteer the Spring Cabbages instead?

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: Two lots of Brassica in one year?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 20:25 »
I did this once with club root resistant broccoli, and the second crop of plants all got very bad club root.

Kirpi

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 20:31 »
thanks azubah, so I guess once you have cleared off the Spring Cabbages from that part of the Brassica bed, that is the end of Brassicas for that year - maybe follow on with Peas and Beans, or Lettuce or other non-demanding crop as the soil will be tired after Spring Greens.

Must remember then not to plant too many.

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 22:16 »
I keep growing brassicas in the bed through the season and just replace the picked plant with another module grown one. By growing fast maturing varieties you can do this and it's never caused me a problem. The beds do get rotated as per standard practice but if it's going to be a brassica bed it can jolly well be one for the entire year.

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 22:21 »
Well - there's the other side of the coin! Thanks Solway Cropper

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 07:09 »
I am with Solway on this one.  I don't have enough space to have another empty bed for later brassicas.  I think rotating after 1 full season is fine.  It is growing the same crops in the same place year after year that will cause problems.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 07:10 »
I keep growing brassicas in the bed through the season and just replace the picked plant with another module grown one. By growing fast maturing varieties you can do this and it's never caused me a problem. The beds do get rotated as per standard practice but if it's going to be a brassica bed it can jolly well be one for the entire year.

I also stick to the one bed for the season, and then at the end plant my spring cabbages for the next year in the new bed in the rotation.

It does not actually cause club root: this is either there or not there in the soil (or can of course be brought in on seedlings from elsewhere) Rotation reduces the oportunity for it to continue in the soil, but from experience, once it is there all you can do is reduce its effects, not eradicate it.

(Be glad if anyone can say how they do get rid of it)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 07:29 »
I already have bad clubroot. If you have never had it and never get infected with it you will be OK.

xx
Preparing brassica bed for next year!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 18:21
by pigguns
xx
Lots and lots of tomato side-shoots...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 21:04
by Pescador
clip
Comfrey lots and lots

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2021, 10:30
by John
xx
Lots of question

Started by rcf100 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 21:26
by rcf100

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 29 queries.