advice on chicks

• 7 Replies

yacks

advice on chicks
« on: July 31, 2012, 21:27 »
I have a broody hen and my dad has got fertile eggs from his hi girls .... I would like advice on what I need to do before I even get the eggs ... Do I need to scrub the whole run down? ... Should I re clear out all elephant grass only put bail down last week ? What sort of broody box should I be looking for ??

cheekychick22

Re: advice on chicks
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 21:29 »
A rabbit hutch and add a run and secure it should be good for a broody nest not sure bout the grass as I use sawdust in mine

yacks

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 21:46 »
 I have a separate run that I can place on patio ... Will check out shops for rabbit hutch ... ... Should I spray with poultry shield before putting her in there for protection ? Sorry if sound stupid but have been waiting for one of hens to become broody or was gonna go buy some new girls as lost 2 in the last year ...

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 07:33 »
Sorry to be boring... but what will you do with the boys that will hatch?

A broody hut should be low to the ground, so the chicks don't hut themselves jumping from a height.

It should be big enough to accommodate mum and how ever many chicks you are planning (when they are half grown) so probably need to be a little bigger than you would expect.

If it is new then there is no need to disinfect, but if it is second hand then I would probably spray with poultry shield :)

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 08:26 »
Check something suitable on Freecycle as well. Hutches often offered our way. Be imaginative it does not have to be specifically for hens. Do spray with Poultry shield as sitting hens are very vulnerable.

Agree with Joyful have you thought what to do with the cockerels. When we incubated we got 1 hen and 3 cockerels. Unless you have a very rare breed it is unlikely you will be able to give them away. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

yacks

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:01 »
That's not a problem dad will take them back ... I have special needs children and they have problems with learning new things ... Have found that getting girls they learn more about how things live ... And feelings of others ... Watching and caring for chicks is gonna be so exciting for them ... Will be getting a new hutch for her if not too expensive ...

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 10:46 »
Good luck yacks.

I bought a second hand hutch with a fold away run from eBay for one of my broodies think I paid £40.  It was home made and had been used for rabbits.  Not the nicest looking thing but it does the job.  The broody stays in the nest area and comes out to the meshed area to feed and drink.  This is ideal for young chicks as it is all on one level.  When they are a week or so old I added the run with a little plank for them to get in and out of the hutch.  Our other hens were able to see mum and chicks so integration was easier when they were old enough.

I hope that you have a successful hatch and am sure the children will love every moment.  The only thing I would say is that broody raised chicks are not as easy to handle as those from an incubator.  Mum does a brilliant job in warning them of any threats and will probably include you in that.  Once they have left mum they should settle down though.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45 »
Sounds brilliant kids. I think pets/animals etc are wonderful for children to learn things and without realising that's what they are doing! :)

xx
Advice - looking after chicks

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 13:50
by PaulineM
xx
Advice on chicks.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 18:53
by Jellyhead
xx
Advice on different age of chicks together

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 17:43
by Sassy
xx
New chicks advice please?

Started by Mrs SpudtheBinx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 09:40
by Mrs SpudtheBinx

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 39 queries.