New chicks advice please?

• 4 Replies

Mrs SpudtheBinx

• http://daveandbecca.co.uk/wordpress/
New chicks advice please?
« on: June 14, 2009, 09:07 »
Hi all,

We got up this morning to find all 6 of our eggs have hatched, but as we are total novices at chicken keeping we were hoping you could advise us on what we should do now.

Right now we have put some chick crumbs, fresh water, pellets and a cabbage leaf in to the segregated area where the chicks are, but were wondering where to go now. Should we lift the hen and the chicks out as it's been built in a way that the chicks can't get out of or leave them in there and keep giving them fresh feed in there until they are bigger?

Thanks in advance!
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New chicks advice please?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:10 »
for the time being put just chick crumbs and water down for all of them, put the water in a shallow dish with marbles in it so that the chicks can't drown. Can you post a photo of your broody set-up so we can give advice on what would be best?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mrs SpudtheBinx

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 09:17 »
Thanks for that, we will do as you suggest :)

I can't get a pic uploaded right now, I am on SpudtheBinx's pc as mine has died and I haven't got the software to get it from my phone on this one.
The best I can do is describe....The chickens are in a shed with a run attached (we inherited all this from the landlord of our new house) we have two hens broody in nest boxes on no eggs then an area boarded in where the chicks and mum are, it's quite roomy with space for her to walk around in but the landlord made the sides quite high.

Thanks again

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:23 »
They may well stay under mum for for a day or so - don't worry they will be fine doing this. so long as they are able to move around mum will know what to do and teach them to eat, drink and scratch for food. Best stop any other hens getting to them as they could kill them (put a mesh cover over their area). Also for the first couple of days some people put sheeting over the sawdust which helps prevent things like keg injuries, then the sheet can be removed and you have clean shavings underneath  :D

Mrs SpudtheBinx

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:40 »
Thanks ever so much for the advice!  :D

xx
Advice - looking after chicks

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 13:50
by PaulineM
xx
Advice on different age of chicks together

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 17:43
by Sassy
xx
Advice on chicks.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 18:53
by Jellyhead
xx
advice on chicks

Started by yacks on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 08:45
by Sassy

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 39 queries.