Dotty has hatched some turkey eggs

• 139 Replies

symonep

• Experienced Member
Re: Dotty has hatched some turkey eggs
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2012, 21:23 »
Oh my, it's the incredible growing turkey  :D
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2012, 09:24 »
They are looking very good  :)  Can see the day approaching when gangly teenage turkey turns round to mum and says 'or what'  :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2012, 09:34 »
They are looking very good  :)  Can see the day approaching when gangly teenage turkey turns round to mum and says 'or what'  :lol:

:lol:

Our big hens have had the odd peck at them so I'm waiting to see pay back time!!   :ohmy:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2012, 10:04 »
You'll have to see how brave they grow up to be  ;) A bit of lip to mum is one thing, but tackling one of the big hens  :unsure:

At my old job the garden centre used to get a visiting farm in regularly - half terms, red suited jovial man's arrival each year, that sort of thing. They used to bring a stonking great male turkey who would parade around displaying to anyone who watched  :lol:

They had to keep him out loose as if he went in the pen with the bantams, they would bully him   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

agapanthus

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2012, 11:44 »
They really are getting a spurt on!! Just wait....in a few weeks they'll be roosting in the trees!!!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

ANHBUC

« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2012, 15:37 »
They really are getting a spurt on!! Just wait....in a few weeks they'll be roosting in the trees!!!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

That's why I'm glad they still want their Mum for the time being Aggy.  How old do they have to be before I can wing clip?  All our bushes and trees are on our boundry so I don't want them visiting the neighbours!  :ohmy: :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2012, 15:39 »
You'll have to see how brave they grow up to be  ;) A bit of lip to mum is one thing, but tackling one of the big hens  :unsure:

At my old job the garden centre used to get a visiting farm in regularly - half terms, red suited jovial man's arrival each year, that sort of thing. They used to bring a stonking great male turkey who would parade around displaying to anyone who watched  :lol:

They had to keep him out loose as if he went in the pen with the bantams, they would bully him   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:
I was hoping they would keep my hens in line, fat chance of that then.   ::)  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 14:51 by ANHBUC »

ANHBUC

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2012, 14:52 »
I think if I watched them for long enough I would be able to see them growing.  They are getting bigger every day. 
turkey poults week 5 016 (595 x 446).jpg

agapanthus

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2012, 18:53 »
I don't really remember how old they were but they were fairly large....probably around 3 or 4 months when they started to roost in a huge tree and Karl got fed up of trying to get them down!  ;)

ANHBUC

« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2012, 19:59 »
Snudge flew out of the shed today and over a 30" mesh fence panel which was across the doorway.  Boosty seems to be the dumb blonde and hasn't worked out as much so just paced up and down the mesh panel calling to Dotty.   ::) :lol:

Will have to clip one wing as soon as they are not following Dotty any more unless I can train them with treats.   :wub:

ANHBUC

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2012, 19:42 »
Think it is time to wing clip!!!  Spent nearly an hour with Bootsy in a pet carrier trying to track down Snudge who had flown around 60 feet and over a 10 feet tall bush into a neighbours garden.   ::)  Bootsy was calling and Snudge was calling back but we couldn't work out where he was.  All our neighbours at the back were out so it was a nightmare trying to get access to find him.  We ended up back in our garden with Bootsy and eventually Snudge came to the calling at the other side of our fence.  Then hubby had to get over the 6 ft fence to catch him.

I think that something must have spooked them, there was a black cat taking an interest this morning.  They were enclosed with Omlet netting but had managed to get out through the larger netting higher up.

They will have to stay in their shed tomorrow until I have researched how to wing clip turkey poults.  Bet they will sleep well tonight.   :lol:

Franceska

« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2012, 14:47 »
Oh they are sweet little darlings!  Makes want to have a go at it if one of my hens goes broody!  Just lovely.  That little white one, is it a turkey too?

ANHBUC

« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2012, 14:52 »
Oh they are sweet little darlings!  Makes want to have a go at it if one of my hens goes broody!  Just lovely.  That little white one, is it a turkey too?

Yes, it is a Pied and is just starting to get some black markings on its feathers. 

Have managed to clip one of each of their wings so hopefully no more exploring other peoples gardens.   ::) :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2012, 15:02 »
They do seem to have a death wish as GA said "And turkeys are, to quote from an article in the Country Smallholder magazine "A suicide waiting to happen"! "  They have got into more scrapes in their 8 weeks than all my hens put together in their 2 years.  They are freeranging and I check on them regularly but Snudge still managed to get wedged between my quail ark and a sheet of plywood which is used as a windbreak.  When I rescued Snudge and put it on the grass it was walking with its legs crossed for a while!   :wacko:  I wondered why Boosty wasn't at Snudges side and couldn't see where he was.  Normally Bootsy is very vocal when not in sight of Snudge or Dotty.  Dotty was sat on top of a coop and not bothered.  I listened out and could hear a faint call coming from our pond.  Sure enough Bootsy had ventured into the fenced off area and tried to eat some of the pond marginal plants and got stuck.  Legs were in the water and body in the plants.  He was very cold when I fished him out but was none the worse once dried off.

Now they have started to either practice their mating dance or are establishing a pecking order.  Bootsy (pied) is doing a sort of mating dance and Snudge (bronze) is cowering and dancing round Boosty.  Then Bootsy is pecking and grabbing Snudges head.  No blood drawn as yet.  I put Snudge back in the turkey shed and Boosty started doing the baby "peep, peep, peep" call.  Such funny behaviour for 8 week old birds, it is making me dizzy watching them.  Not sure if I am cut out to be a turkey keeper!   :unsure:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2012, 15:23 »
Odd they are so different from chickens.  

Do you think it is because they just have a much shorter history of being domesticated  :unsure:  After all, the other fowl like chucks. ducks and geese have been farmyard critters for centuries, but turkeys were hunted as wild game before the white settlers reached america and anyone thought of farming them  :)

xx
turkey eggs- how often does your turkey lay eggs?

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 15:52
by massa
xx
Home-hatched copper-blue Marans eggs

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 18:13
by PaulineM
clip
What to do about Dotty

Started by Ema on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2020, 21:42
by grinling
xx
Dotty's first chicks

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 09:57
by j00les

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 40 queries.