Ill Chook

• 8 Replies

little brown hen

Ill Chook
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:42 »
Hello, I would welcome any advice regarding my ill chook.   She is an ex-battery hen, about two years old and yesterday her face and comb went pale and wrinkled and seemed slightly swollen (never seen that before).   She has gone into her house, wont come out, wont eat but will drink.   Others out and fine, scratching away.   Wondering if she has eaten something that disagrees with her when out and about, or allergic to something she found.   Has anyone else seen this, and what should I give her?   Thanks.

kegs

Re: Ill Chook
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 18:30 »
Have you tried tempting her to eat by giving her some pellets with warm water mixed into a porrige?  I can't offer any other advice because I haven't had ex-bats.  I think I've read though that because of their difficult start they tend to have a shorter life span and are prone to more illnesses but I'm sure someone will be along to confirm that soon.  If it's just something she's eaten then hopefully she will be out and about tomorrow.  Do keep us updated and let us know if you see any other symptoms.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 19:22 »
If she is off her food she could have an impacted crop.  Others will give you advice on how to check for it and how to treat it.  There is some information on this link

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.0

just scroll down to the section on Crop problems.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 11:10 »
Ex bats are hard work, I love having them but they are times when they always seem to be ill.

There could be any number of reasons, impacted crop, sour crop, worms or some kind of stomach infection if they have eaten something that was decaying in the garden etc etc, here is a link which may help with diagnosis.... http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 there some tables at the bottom.

With mine I am a strong believer in precaution, I make sure they get plenty of ACV and garlic in the diet, I also use dried oregano, I have read many a article on the powers of this, also boiled stinging nettles I have heard help to keep the worms at bay, tho you must always worm them with flubenvet. Check the pooops what are they like, there is a great linky with some good pictures on the site.... http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

little brown hen

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 08:09 »
Thank you so much for such helpful info.   Sadly she died very soon after - I think she may have been 4 years old so perhaps old age had something to do with it.   I have two groups of girls, 2 years and 4 years so I suppose thats old for an old batt!   But Im certainly going to use your advice for my remaining girls.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 08:21 »
that is a good age for an ex-batt so just shows how well you were looking after xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 13:01 »
 :(  Sad news.  Well done you in giving her a quality life in her later years.

little brown hen

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 06:47 »
Thank you so much.   I love keeping old batts, they are so good natured, no fighting, so happy with anything you give them, love their foraging time out.   Not the most beautiful of hens, one has a leg sticking out at an angle, she came like that poor soul.  Vet said she would put her down but I reckoned she deserved a life and she is loving it, hobbles around on her one and a half legs.   A mongoose got one of them a month ago, they are a real danger like your fox problem in the UK.   Unfortunately there is always an enemy you have to protect them against!

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 16:00 »
The mongoose does sound like our fox. 

If you click on "Profile" at the top of the page you can add your approximate location.  This helps as you will find other members who might live on your continent.  They can then give specific advice on any of your queries.

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Chook not herself??

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 00:05
by Hensington
xx
Chook with bad leg??????

Started by rgp5454 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 19:38
by muntjac
xx
Ill chook :-(

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 13:39
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 30 queries.