How to stop them taking off?

• 1 Replies

z3na

How to stop them taking off?
« on: August 03, 2010, 21:00 »
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes......
I brought a chicken coop from a well known garden centre, for my (new) 3 chickens. Said coop has a flat roof and a protruding nest box, also with a flatish roof. Quickly realised that the run area wasn't going to be big enough, so "built" a surrounding run from chicken wire etc.  This is about 4' high.  The chickens have had their wings clipped so shouldn't be able to fly, but developed another clever trick.  2 of them jump onto the nesting box, from there onto the roof of the coop, and then sort of jump/glide out into the garden.  The 3rd can't manage this, so is left frantic and alone in the run, trying to get out. I don't actually mind too much, as we tend to let them free range around the garden when we are here anyway. However, it would be nice to be able to know that we could confine them if necessary. (hubby is also starting to complain about damage to the veg beds, amount of poo on the patio, and the fact that I have banned him from using weed killer on the lawn) . Moving the coop/widening the run isn't an option. Otherwise, I can only think of a) raising the height of the fence somehow( my DIY skills are VERY limited and I don't really want to have Fort Knox at the bottom of the garden,) or putting something around the roof of the coop to stop them jumping up.  Any other suggestions please?

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
Re: How to stop them taking off?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 22:19 »
I'v got some netting over my outdoor run, just cheep  stuff from b&q about 3 quid i think, attached with garden ties. nice n easy to get on and off anytime. might work for you. Same you would use for putting over fruit.

xx
Taking the plunge...

Started by FCG on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 16:16
by smiler43
xx
i am taking to much of a risk

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 10:20
by karlooben
xx
now they realy are taking the pee

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 22, 2007, 19:58
by muntjac
xx
Red Stop

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2015, 15:09
by pipandjack

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 39 queries.