candling help!!!!

• 3 Replies

milly8

candling help!!!!
« on: April 16, 2008, 22:13 »
why or why did i start this!!!!i feel like i,m killing my babies!!!my broody has now been on her eggs for ten days so i candled them tonight.we took out one egg very early on cause she left in out of nest and it was covered in poo(my daughter named it mike and wanted to bury it!!!) two days ago she pushed out an egg and left it to go cold.i pushed it back in but the next day she did the same to the same egg so i decided she was telling me something and got rid of it.
i have just candled for the first time and dont really know what i,m doing!!one looks completely clear (like an unfertised one as i compared them) two have air sacs and look quite dark but no blobs!! and one i cant see very well at all but looks like it has an air sac.what will i do ?????
dont want any of them to blow up !! the eggs are all different as they were pot luck eggs from free rangers in local petting farm .  
wish i had one of you lovely lot near here so you could check them for me!!!!!!  any ideas!!!!
my class in school have a poster up on wall with chicks being added every day til 'chick day' and i dont want them to be dissapionted ,even one little chick would be good!!
MAD MOTHER WITH TOO MANY ANIMALS!!!!!!

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
candling help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 14:49 »
I'm sure I had read somewhere that mother hen will push out any eggs she is not happy with but others have said thats an old wives tail. If there are air sacs and dark bits i would say they are probably fertile and to just leave them be. Once ours got past 7 days the chick was fairly big so just looked dark. Fingers crossed you get some chicks!!

milly8

candling help!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 14:53 »
ta,heres hoping!!

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
candling help!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 16:57 »
You should be able to see the chick growing by 10 days . I candle mine after 3 - 4 days and can see clearly if they are fertile or not.
By this stage days 3 and 4 you would be able to see red veins and a small blob which is a heart.
You candled them after day 10 and said two are dark? sounds like they are ok as they take up much of the egg .
If you look you can see them moving about i hope they hatch! let us know how you get on.
Jonathan

xx
Candling

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 17:57
by chuckmum
xx
Egg Candling

Started by StephRF on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 13:30
by kegs
xx
Egg Candling

Started by BJ on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 23:44
by muntjac
xx
Is candling really necessary?

Started by Ttedoldi on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2015, 08:42
by joyfull

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 35 queries.