What time do I put them to bed?

• 5 Replies

Blondie

« on: June 21, 2007, 16:08 »
Just wondering what time people put their chickens to bed? Not sure how early/late to lock them up in the house. What's everyones bedtime?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 16:41 »
My chook(s) put themself to bed as the light begins to fade.  I make sure their run us locked up then as foxy woxy will be around.  But I don't close their pop hole door until later during this hot weather just to maximise the ventillation until the heat of the day is dropping.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 20:35 »
Same with me unless we are going out, then I chuck a handful of grain into the shed and drop the pop hole quick !
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mumsy

Bed Time
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 22:18 »
Hi
My girls put themselves to bed, but they snuggle up in the nest box, does it matter that they don't roost? Aunt Sally- thank you for your reply on how to pop images on here, managed to get it all set up but keep getting debug mode!!! After Daisy's gigantic egg yesterday she didn't lay today, but Rosie is back to normal.
Mumsy :D

jack russell

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 23:04 »
i have neighbouring plot holders who dont put there girls to bed they leave them to go in and out of there own accord.  i must add they have 6' fencing the type around new build houses as a run  i presume they are fox proof :roll:

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

dawninspain

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 15:25 »
Ours put themselves to bed as it gets dark. Initially a couple preferred the nest boxes but we lifted them out and put them on the perches as otherwise the nest boxes get poo left in them overnight which would get on the eggs the next day. Some needed lifting up onto the perches intially as well but now most sort themselves out.

Now because it is hot we leave the pop hole open overnight so that there is fresh air and so that they can get up a bit earlier if they want to and have access to food and water. Because of that they are laying earlier as well now. We do have a secure run as part of the hen  house - they don't have access to the proper outside run until we go down the garden in the morning. We don't have foxes here but we don't want rats getting at their food overnight.

Dawn

xx
Bed time

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 21:52
by treacleminer
xx
is there a right time to buy pol

Started by sued on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 23:00
by GrannieAnnie
xx
What time is bed time??

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 16:36
by LittleRedHen
xx
What time to put to bed ?

Started by jozsef on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 20:01
by karlooben

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 36 queries.