Citrus tree from a seed

• 1 Replies

ChattyA

Citrus tree from a seed
« on: June 20, 2018, 14:38 »
Hello everyone! Have you ever tried to grow a citrus tree from a seed? I would love to have one..I was thinking about lemon or mandarine tree.. Which one is easier to grow? What conditions are suitable for them? Every advice is very precious for me!

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: Citrus tree from a seed
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 16:19 »
I once grew a small mango plant from a stone but it didn't last longer than a few years. I scraped all the fruit of the husk off with a knife (messy job), removed the large seed from inside and stuck it in a pot of compost. It germinated fairly quickly and grew into a plant with a 3-4 inch strong stem and 2 sets of dark green leaves though from this point on the central growth kept drying out and it never got any further. A couple of years later i knocked it over and realised it was actually dead, no roots at all despite the green leaves. They say it took decades for Kew to produce a fruit on one of their mangoes and that's under scientific conditions so I doubt I'd have got any and that's the problem you'd have; creating the light, heat and humidity requirements for such plants. Also you'd not always know what variety you had so the plants might not grow 'true' from shop bought fruit.

Good luck with your growing, I think you'll end up with some fab plants, and you never know, maybe you'll get lucky and up with fruit too!

xx
Citrus tree

Started by ChattyA on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 16, 2018, 11:06
by sunshineband
xx
Citrus Tree Problem

Started by DopeyAlex on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 20:26
by cob nut
xx
citrus tree problem

Started by lfcevans on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 23:09
by lfcevans
xx
red spider mite on citrus tree

Started by Hawkins on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 18:49
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 38 queries.