Pollinating tomatoes

• 6 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Pollinating tomatoes
« on: June 17, 2012, 14:45 »
My tomato plants were rubbish last year. All the flower stems broke off at the knuckle and I didn't get a single tomato! A friend suggested that they hadn't pollinated so this year I'm misting daily and also using a wee paintbrush to gently brush the flowers. However, some of the flowers have started to go the same way as last years... going brown and looking to bend at the knuckle.

Any other ideas on why this is happening... if it's not non-pollination then I'm stuck.  :(
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Pollinating tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 14:47 »
Are they outdoors or under glass/plastic? Its kind of cool outside for the plants..
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 15:00 »
They're in the greenhouse... though you could say it's kind of cool in there for them at the moment!  :lol:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 15:02 »
Hm. No I only ask as some of ours were displaying similar behaviour outdoors last year when the summer was so cool we got our first tomato in August. ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 16:45 »
tomato flowers will self pollinate, they only need a gentle tap of the stem/cane/string to release the pollen into the flower, if the insects aren't doing the job. Do you open doors and windows daily?

If the flowers are falling off it's usually to do with temperature being too hot or too cold for them or lack of nutrients, such as you get when they are grown in tiny pots that can't support the growth.

It's advised to mist to help with pollination when it's hot - but I really can't see it being a problem with the temperatures we're having atm.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 16:53 »
Hmmm, thanks chaps. Ah, I didn't know about misting only when it's hot... a tad over zealous then!  :D The doors are open during the day so lack of insects shouldn't be a problem. I've got two plants to each giant growbag, with halos filled with compost, so size of pot isn't a problem either.

It could of course just be the beautiful Scottish summer we're having.  :blink:

I shall just have to keep a beady eye on them... cheers again chaps.  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 14:44 »
I've got 3 Gartenperle outside in hanging baskets. They're big strong plants now and they've been flowering for weeks, but every single flower except one has died and dropped off without producing a tomato. The single tomato I do have has not grown or changed in any way for ages. It certainly can't be pollination when they're outside, so it has to be the horrible weather that's stopping them.

xx
Pollinating tomatoes

Started by mclarkuk1 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 20:04
by mumofstig
xx
pollinating strawberries

Started by azubah on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 21:55
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Tomatoes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post September 24, 2014, 16:11
by simonwatson
xx
Best Tomatoes

Started by spud on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post October 12, 2014, 20:06
by LotuSeed

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 37 queries.