Electronic payments

• 37 Replies

jezza

Electronic payments
« on: June 27, 2020, 17:57 »
Hello I'm having problems with some one I work for insisting on paying me by electronic payments when I started working for them in November it  was agreed to be cash as the job was temporary now they are paying fortnightly in arrears I have asked to return to weekly cash payments, does any one know what the legal position is please I have refused to work for them till payment system is changed .  jezza

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Electronic payments
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 19:56 »
A lot of people aren’t using cash now due to COVID risks.

A number of the people I paid by cash now want electronic payment. 

I don’t know what the legal position is but I suspect if they are willing to pay electronically then that’s meeting their legal responsibility to pay for work done.  Why do you want cash ?

grinling

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 21:59 »
do you have a contract with them? Even 0 hours is a contract
have you asked why they are paying you 2 weeks in arrears instead of the 1 week.
If you are self employed then you could withhold services, they might decide to no longer use you
this person might not have been declaring you for tax purposes,but covid has changed a lot of practices.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 06:01 »
Might be something to do with bank charges.

I pay by ET for as much as I can, because the recipient doesn't get clobbered by the banks - apparently!

jezza

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 09:42 »
Hello I was brought up that a days work for a days pay and cash in hand when the jobs done or the works be done for now,t I'm also getting clobbered for bank charges every time an electronic payment goes in, they dont pay I have their charges added to my account  which I dont think is fair  jezza

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 11:29 »
Direct credit by BACS is very cheap.  Fast Payments are free. 

Have a look at this advice

https://gocardless.com/guides/posts/bacs-payments/

https://gocardless.com/guides/posts/faster-payments-explained/

jezza

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 11:40 »
Hello FasterPayments aren't cheaper into my business account I'm getting charged for their bank putting in and my bank charges  as well  j,ezza

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 11:48 »
Ah yes, business account.

Can’t you increase all your charges a little to accommodate the charge.  It would be a shame to loose customers because they don’t want to go to the cash machine in these dodgy virus days.

jezza

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 12:29 »
Hello it doesn't matter if I lose this one I dont really want to work for them I work for their uncle I was helping them out after they made their head gardener redundant  last October, we dont get on as the guys wife is crackers she's ruined a beautiful garden by covering every bed and border 4 inches thick of Strulch mulch then complains that nothings growing  she also likes to do the Chelsea chop which in my eyes is a daft idea   jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 12:53 »
Contract law is not my strength!

But I agree with others' comments.  In these times where public health has come to the fore, they were within their rights to pay you electronically and, as they have changed the terms of your original contract and as a result your bank expenses have gone up, you'd be within your rights to therefore increase your prices to cover that extra cost.

But, cash in hand is suggestive of tax evasion (I am not saying that you are evading tax by payment in cash, just that it can look suspicious) and therefore it may also be that what is now clearly not such a temporary job, must be paid through what looks like more legitimate means and that would not raise any auditor's eyebrows.

Who knows?

Your choice is, as I see it, to see if you can negotiate increased costs, walk away, or continue with the arrangement as it currently is.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jezza

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 13:59 »
Every penny I earn is declared and I dont have a contract with them I go mow round  the wild flower areas then leave  jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 14:17 »
Actually, despite being a freelance worker for them, you do have a contract with them, even if it's only a verbal one i.e. what you'd do, when you'd do it, how much they would pay you, when they would pay you, and how they would pay you.

jezza

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 15:01 »
Hello that's got to be wrong  in my eyes a contract is written and signed i  have no such contract so therefore they are in the wrong  if they continue to be awkward I'm doubling the hourly rate and putting bank charges on top  jezza

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 16:21 »
Hello that's got to be wrong  in my eyes a contract is written and signed i  have no such contract so therefore they are in the wrong  if they continue to be awkward I'm doubling the hourly rate and putting bank charges on top  jezza
A verbal contract is a contract but proving it and what was said is a lot more difficult than a written one. Still, you're not going to be engaging in court actions at the moment and even if they were working as normal, the costs are daunting.
With this sort of job, it's pretty reasonable for either party to terminate basically without notice. If I was you I'd tell them straight that if they really must pay electronically that it will increase your bank charges and admin time so you'll need to increase the rate if you're to carry on. Also, with things as they are and your increased costs you're going to have to increase your rate soon. Oh, and by the way, I'd appreciate you paying what you owe me.
I suspect they'll cave when they realise you don't need them.
Our business account (HSBC) costs a stupid amount of money to pay in a cheque or cash on top of a fixed monthly fee for the privilege of banking with them. On the business savings account we get paid £1 per £1000 from them. Woo, blinking, hoo!
PayPal manage to skim off around 45p on our book sales - it all mounts up but what else can we do? There are alternatives but basically they're the only game in town for us with our sort of low value sales.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

jezza

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 07:53 »
Hello miy business account is only cash  cheque deposit  withdrawal account I found an excess charge charge after the first electronic transaction I queried this with the bank it's to cover the  setting up fees from the depositor s bank ,they have no charge they pay on faster pay to me then my banks charged for depositing it then my bank charge me  per deposit and an extortionate amount to take money out    jezza

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 56 queries.