pond

• 13 Replies

edlomatt

pond
« on: September 22, 2007, 23:23 »
hey there.

wehave recently got an allotment and 4 of us including me are working on it together as something to do. we have took on a very large plot of around 1000 metres squared. we are having a pond in 1 part about 15 foot diameter and around 4 foot deep. the soil is quite clayey when you get a little deeper now what i wanted to ask and may sound stupid here is would it need a liner? or will it hold its own water in there?

if it needs a liner any 1 reccomend a cheap place to purchase them? the pond will  have different levels etc and have some nice fish in there.

thanks guys.

p.s sorry if doesnt make sence i got in at 3AM and have been to the allotment from 7.30 am and just got home a hour ago.

WG.

pond
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 23:28 »
Hi & welcome to the forum.

Soil would need to be very clayey if it were to save you the cost of a liner.  Search for butyl liners on Google.

BTW, pedantic R'Us ... "1000 metres squared" is a square kilometre (247 acres), I think you mean 1000 square metres.   :D

muntjac

pond
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 23:32 »
you could do a clay pan pond but id suggest you go to a diy store and buy off the roll butyl liner  .design the pond on paper with whatever depth you intend curves etc .and then if the pond is 4ft wide . 2 ft deep you need 10 ft approx of liner one way . 4 across the bottom 2 ft for both upsides and 2 for over lap so a 10 x 10 piece should do it .....line it with cardboard and sand to stop sharp stones etc coming through old carpet is just as good . fill slowly so the material is drawn into the hole ,fit the overlap to go envelope style over the corners etc ( you may cut some excess off if neded ) then use the edgeing material  slabs grass turves etc . allow for animals falling in , specially hedgehogs. hope this helps ,others may help with other ideas etc  :wink: it can help if you allow the pond to settle over winter  before doing any planting etc
still alive /............

WG.

pond
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 23:34 »
If you go the clay pan route, borrow some geese or ducks to do the panning for you.  :)

edlomatt

pond
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 23:51 »
thanks for that guys really helpfull!, we have 6 ducks all 8 weeks old, i thnik iread theyneed to be around 22 weeks before i let em playin a deep pond. but this 1 is mainly for fish so they will have there own inside the duck run :)

WG.

pond
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 23:57 »
Yeah the ducks were only to do the panning.  Keep them out of it when it is completed.

edlomatt

pond
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 09:51 »
silly question, whats panning? lol

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
pond
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 10:02 »
Compacting of clay to forum a barrier to the water, you do it by getting wet clay and smearing it up the sides to a thickness of about 6" and "polishing" it a bit like a plaster does if my memory serves me correct
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

edlomatt

pond
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 10:15 »
ahh wow brilliant, tho im going to get a price on a liner as it seems a quicker and more viable option. ill speak with my cusin about it later and ask him hees the fisherman after all, dunno why youd wanna fish yourown fish tho i think that sucks but each to there own.

shaun

pond
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 21:52 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Compacting of clay to forum a barrier to the water, you do it by getting wet clay and smearing it up the sides to a thickness of about 6" and "polishing" it a bit like a plaster does if my memory serves me correct

I have a video of something just like that richy  8)

theres clay and theres clay the blue clay(we call it puddle clay) is better
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
pond
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 21:59 »
Yeah blue is better, don't you find it deeper than the yellow stuff ?, you do in my garden 6" down to the yellow then a foot further to the blue stuff  :roll:

shaun

pond
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 22:03 »
depends where live realy but yes its the deepest ,I thinks its turning into rock cus its has hard as a goats toe

muntjac

pond
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 22:05 »
you find clays in valleys etc

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
pond
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 22:05 »
:lol:  cuts like hard cheese round here, but then I'm next to water so thats probably why

xx
I've been given a pond.

Started by yorkiegal on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 10:59
by smud6ie
xx
My new pond

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

109 Replies
Last post July 14, 2012, 13:41
by smud6ie
xx
Too Late to Lay a pond ?

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

30 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 19:31
by Foghorn-Leghorn
xx
Pond liners

Started by Comfreypatch on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 18:24
by Comfreypatch

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 39 queries.