My new pond

• 109 Replies

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
Re: Pond going green and stagnant.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 17:52 »
This is a brand new pond, isn't it?

How big is it (rough volume and depth)? and how much direct sunlight does it get?

Don't despair, heavy algae growth is perfectly normal for a new pond.  But, in case there's something else going on you need to look at the nutrient balance:

Inputs:
Are there any sources of nutrients leaching into the pond?  Common sources are tapwater (contains a little nitrogen, minimal phosphates), decomposing organic matter (doesn't sound like it from your description, but includes falling leaves and decomposing plant matter) and ground run-off (avoid using fertilisers where the run-off can enter the pond.

The other potential source is compost.  Only ever use aquatic compost for planting baskets in the water.  It's formulated to contain almost no nutrients, so (in theory) it won't fuel algae growth.

It's essential to minimise nutrient inputs.  Scooping out leaves, removing dead plant material, avoiding accidental fertiliser run-off.

Outputs:
Aerobic bacteria in filtration systems can oxidise ammonia and nitrites to nitraes (animal wastes) and anerobic filtration can reduce nitrates to nitrogen.  As you're not keeping fish this isn't going to be neccessary, the pond should be able to cope with frogs and other natural wildlife without a filter.  It will cope with a very light fish stocking level without a filter if it's large enough.

Uptake by plants and algae.  Your soup of algae is doing you a favour at the moment, it's taking up the nutrients in the water and converting them to algae drymass.  "Gloopy water" sounds like it could be hair algae.  If it is, you're in luck as it's ease to remove by twisting a bamboo cane or stick the the water until it wraps into a mass you can remove (and compost).  If you keep removing the algae from the pond to the compost heap you will be removing the nutrients that the algae extracted from the water.  Consequently, providing there is no additional source topping up the nutrients, the nutrient levels will fall and the algael growth slow down.

It's important to keep harvesting algae and oxygenators little and often as the real benefit in reducing the nutrient levels in the pond only happens when you remove algae or plant matter from the pond.  If you just leave it, then come winter it will die, decompose, release the nutrients and you're back where you started next year.  Removing the algae will also allow the other plants to do better.

If the algae is slimey, not at all hair like and forms sheets or blobs.. then you might have cyanobacteria (sometimes called blue-green algae, but it's not an algae and it's not a bacteria).  This is also quite natural, but usually indicates very heavy nutrient levels and/or poor light levels.  You should be able to net this out when it clumps, and then look to address the nutrient levels and consider if there is enough sunlight on the water.

There is an idea that shading the pond will rid it of algae.  Whilst it's true that algae will die when starved of light, they then decompose and release their nutrients back into the water.  It over-looks one very important thing; algae is good for your pond.  Not having algae when the nutrients are present in the pond to fuel it's growth is worse than having the algae visible.  The excess nutrients are worse than the algae.  The algae is natures way of dealing with the nutrient problem you didn't know you had.

hubballi

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 23:53 »
Wow, a very concise and knowledgeable bit of information. I am impressed.  :) Ok, the pond gets a lot of sunlight during the day which will explain the algae. I haven't yet tried getting it out so I will have to do that to find out what texture it is.

hubballi

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 18:51 »
Spotted the 2 frogs from last year in the pond today so can't be that bad. :)

hubballi

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 18:37 »
I have tried an aquatic garden center who said they haven't any weed in. I went to another of the same chain and they were selling a very small amount for £5.99. What a rip off !

Going to send out online for some native oxygenaters. Still no pond life  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 18:48 »
Have you put a sack of barley straw in it to clear the green ?

hubballi

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 21:10 »
Just been out on my bike and got some stringy pond weed and 3 pond snails that will sort out the algae. I even got some duckweed. I love the way frogs heads pop out of it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 21:25 »
Why on earth would you want to introduce duck week into your pond  :ohmy:

and what is "stringy pond weed" ?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 21:26 by Aunt Sally »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 22:13 »
Hope the stringy pond weed is not blanket weed for your sake.  :blush:  Nightmare to get rid of and it chokes the life out of your pond.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

hubballi

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 09:23 »
It's not stringy blanket. It's very like Starwort.

What's wrong with duckweed ? I like the look of it.  It's easy to control in a small pond. I have had it before and just scoop it out when it gets too much.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 19:12 »
What's wrong with duckweed ? I like the look of it.  It's easy to control in a small pond. I have had it before and just scoop it out when it gets too much.

Duckweed is pretty good at helping with greenwater, it grows fast and it's very easy to net off and add to the compost heap or the borders as a green mulch (nutrient export).  It's almost certainly going to arrive in the pond sooner or later in any case.  I've even used it in a tropical aquarium before to provide some quick, temporary shading to part of the tank - although it did require an evening with a net and tweezers to eradicate it when it was no longer required.

Blanket weed can be pulled out by wrapping round a stick/cane, and controlled by getting the nutrient balance sorted.  Like duckweed it will arrive in due course on it's own.

This spring's a funny spring with my pond this year.  The water hawthorn has been flowering for a while now (and smelling beautiful when an evening breeze catches it) but the Elodea has been slow to get going.

I'm still not sure how small your pons is, but I find that Typha minima is a very easy to propogate dwarf reedmace and any plant growing in the water is pulling nutrients from the water that might otherwise fuel algae.   Some dwarf irisis would also be suitable, but avoid the native flag iris.

smud6ie

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 17:20 »
If the long tailed things swimming around are these then it could be a sign of organic polution, I get them in my comfry and nettle fertilizer  brew.
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/ag369/notes/rattailed_maggots.html

smud6ie

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 18:00 »
It's probably mosquito larvae.

8doubles

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 18:26 »
I think duckweed cuts down the oxygen as well as the light as there is less surface area of water.

hubballi

Re: My new pond
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 06:24 »
5 weeks on and still no pond skaters :-(

ollie.d

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 15:29 »
You don't state whether you have a filtration system? This keeps the water clear of the thicker debri and creates healthy bacteria, also the water filtering back in either just through a pipe or a waterfall will oxygenate the water by breaking up the surface area  ;) if your pond has no filter system or breaking up of the surface area to oxiginate, it will just go stagnant and smelly  :(

xx
pond

Started by edlomatt on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 22:05
by richyrich7
xx
I've been given a pond.

Started by yorkiegal on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 10:59
by smud6ie
xx
Tiny pond

Started by Larissa68 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2021, 15:01
by Growster...
xx
above ground pond

Started by tinlizzy on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 19:39
by Leaf

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 35 queries.