Sweetcorn

• 23 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 17:19 »
Do you keep the lid sealed to keep the moisure in?

I don't seal my chitting seeds that tightly 'coz the box gets smelly if I do.  Loose lid, and add some water if the kitchen paper looks like drying out.  Won;t be a problem for Sweetcorn, they germinate really quickly, but Sweet peas can take a week.

Yabba

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 18:07 »
I sowed a batch a couple of weeks ago, no chitting or bag, but they're on a heated bed in an unheated greenhouse.

¥

David.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 19:48 »
I always sow mine in cell trays placed on the upper shelves in a heated greenhouse and keep watering to the minimum until they've germinated and expect to get around 99% germination, but that's from saved seeds as shop bought ones never seem to do so well for me.

DIGGER

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 11:04 »
Right,got fed up waiting and no sign under the surface,so have decided to use the above chitting method.

Is there any other seed that would benifit from this method or any no go seeds for this method.

Think i might experiment,nothing else to do today

Riala

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 11:21 »
yes shut the lid and put it somewhere warm and dark(airing cupboard is perfect),in 2-3 days the good seed will have sprouted.

Do people still have airing cupboards??

My 'airing cupboard' is just a 'cupboard' without the water tank.  Every house I have rented in the past 8+ years has had no tank in a cupboard. :(  Used to be the perfect place for keeping towels nice and warm and starting seeds off in.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 11:36 »
Is there any other seed that would benifit from this method or any no go seeds for this method.

I chit Runner and French beans and Sweet peas.

I think useful for any of the larger seeds - two-seeds-per pot seems very wasteful to me to then pull one out ... but putting one-per-pot and having some mis-fires upsets me just as much! although for small seeds like Lettuce with 500 seeds-per-packet (there is NO way that I am eating 500 lettuces!) I am prepared to be the Hangman.

Chiitting solves the problem for larger seeds, for me.

Riala

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 11:42 »
Am I the only person in the world to not own Kitchen Roll or Cotton Wool?

DIGGER

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 12:06 »
Am I the only person in the world to not own Kitchen Roll or Cotton Wool?

Ha Ha, Nooooooo    I had go  to my daughters house [ 5 mins ] to get two sheets of kitchen roll

Babstreefern

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 20:21 »
I did my corn about a month ago in root-trainers in my conservatory.  It was warm during the day, but chilly at night.  I planted 50 in total and 2 didn't come, but one of the cells has two ???plants coming up.  So in total I've got 49.  Another thing to remember is that they do not like being messed about with, so be careful when you plant them out.  Last year, I did them in plastic water cups - large ones.  I put 3 in each and I did well.  I also did an experient, when I planted them out, I also planted some corn, by planting them straight in the ground, and they actually did better. :D

Babs

xx
Sweetcorn, what are they?

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 09:24
by MoreWhisky
xx
sweetcorn

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 15:44
by Ian_A
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Flying Cyril on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 13, 2007, 22:16
by shaun
xx
How is your sweetcorn??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

57 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 15:25
by Wellpotty1

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 38 queries.