Can Black Rocks Go Broody?

• 12 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Can Black Rocks Go Broody?
« on: June 16, 2011, 18:44 »
I sure hope so!  Our Black Rock is off the lay, doesn't want to leave the nest box except to eat and drink, and that's very little.  Her comb has shrunk but is still red and she nice and cool to the touch.  Her poo is normal too.  The only strange thing is, she doesn't mind a person touching her while she's in the nest box. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Can Black Rocks Go Broody?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 19:32 »
Sounds brooddy to me   :)

LittleRedHen

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 20:50 »
Thanks Aunty!  We won't let her go too long before we stuff some fertile eggs under her. 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 20:54 »
She may do a good job but just because she is broody now it doesn't mean she'll be a good mother hen.

Others with experience will be along to give their opinions.

Spana

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 21:08 »
I used to keep Black Rocks.  They were all dark apart from one and she was really golden, hence her name, Goldie  :D.  Any way she was the only one who ever went broody.  She raised  quite a few chicks over the years and was an excellent mother. She died last year aged 8.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 22:48 »
One of our black rocks went broody in its first spring - was a good mum and raised 8 or so babies very nicely.

Never went broody again - she is still going strong some 3 years later - less eggs and has grey feathers on her head (really!)

My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 22:53 »
We've got what's supposed to be a black rock, she goes broody sometimes, but we've never put eggs under her so can't say if she would make a good Mum.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:19 »
Sadly, Repecka passed a lasher today - not broody after all.  She's back to normal now.  This hen has laid every single day for two years running and I think she has just started to come to the end of her laying days.  She only lays every four days now.  So much for hatching out Norfolk Black Turkeys!   :(

Spana

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 12:45 »
I think she has just started to come to the end of her laying days.     :(

The sensible thing would be to cull them when they get to this stage but i've never been sensible or been able to do the most cost effective thing.  :wub:

I've got a yard full of happy old hens that cost a fortune to feed and a lake full of geriatric ducks doing the same  ::)

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 13:01 »
I think she has just started to come to the end of her laying days.     :(

The sensible thing would be to cull them when they get to this stage but i've never been sensible or been able to do the most cost effective thing.  :wub:

I've got a yard full of happy old hens that cost a fortune to feed and a lake full of geriatric ducks doing the same  ::)

I’ve started out with a hard face attitude to do the right thing when they stop laying, but my wife has already got songs to go with each of them and they are so lovely to watch im sure they will live long into there twilight years too!
I hate signatures but love irony

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 20:26 »
I used to keep Black Rocks.  They were all dark apart from one and she was really golden, hence her name, Goldie  :D.  Any way she was the only one who ever went broody.  She raised  quite a few chicks over the years and was an excellent mother. She died last year aged 8.

One of our four Black Rocks, "Road Runner" sounds like "Goldie"  if she goes broody I will be really pleased.  She is 9 months old so I might have to wait a while.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 13:30 »
Ohhh, I don't know!  My Maran went broody at that age.  She was an excellent mum too! 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 14:32 »
Sadly, Repecka passed a lasher today - not broody after all.  She's back to normal now.  This hen has laid every single day for two years running and I think she has just started to come to the end of her laying days.  She only lays every four days now.  So much for hatching out Norfolk Black Turkeys!   :(

That's a shame because black rocks should be able to lay for up to 5 years!

smiley
Amazing Black egg!

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Chicken Chat

16 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 00:08
by Pol
xx
My new Copper Black gave me an egg..............

Started by cammi on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 09:25
by cammi
xx
white chicken turned black.

Started by k4t1e195 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 11:17
by compostqueen
xx
French Black Maran X Light Sussex

Started by fleehill on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post November 03, 2021, 13:34
by fleehill

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 36 queries.