Mystery Solved

• 4 Replies

splash101

Mystery Solved
« on: January 13, 2013, 10:45 »
I got my new 4 POL light Sussex at the end of October and the first eggs came about 3 weeks later.
We were getting 3 eggs a day and thought one of them hadn't started laying yet which to be honest, i wasn't expecting them to start laying that soon anyway so the eggs we were getting were a bonus.
This morning i found 1 of the hens tucked up tight under a bush.  I knew this must be the 4th hen starting to lay as all of the others lay in the nest box.
Well, when she got out from under the bush and told the neighbourhood she had laid, i went to collect the egg and found 7 eggs under there.

I had been checking around the garden as well to see if this had been happening but where she has been laying, the chickens never come up the garden this far. Should have known really as this was the spot my RIR used to lay her eggs in a couple of years ago.

I'm going to need one of those golf ball retrievers at this rate  :dry:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Mystery Solved
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:54 »
some that free range will never lay in a nest box so rather than forcing her to find a new hiding place to lay mark an egg with the date in pencil and leave that there (swapping it with a new dated one everyday - this way keeping it fresh) but don't let her know that you have found this spot otherwise you will have to go on the hunt for her new spot  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 11:56 »
 :lol:  :lol: Im just glad that she is laying and not a cockerel (which had crossed my mind in one of those small paranoia moments, nothing to base that thought on, just paranoia lol)

splash101

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 13:29 »
It does look like this will be the favoured spot for her laying as she has continued to do so.

I dont mind really except my hubby is going to have to move the huge planter next to the bush slightly so i can collect the eggs. I have to keep sending my daughter in mission impossible style. No doubt this is the reason she is laying there, so no one else can get to them.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 13:52 »
She will probably move her nest site if you make it easier to get to!!   ::) :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Mystery

Started by Jo57 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 11:06
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorely tempted, bit of a mystery.

Started by themagicaltoad1 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 16:46
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 40 queries.