I have several of my hens gone broody on me

• 5 Replies

pepsi100

I have several of my hens gone broody on me
« on: April 21, 2011, 15:55 »
I have several of my hens gone broody on me, 1 is sitting on 6 ferile eggs (supposedly)

The others are sitting on eggs the rest lay each day (which I remove, they aint happy about it)

Now I'm being optimistic, but IF they hatch out, do I leave them in the run with the rest of the hens (and 1 cockerel, a big ole boy)

I cant really partition off the coop (roosting area) or run

I dont really want any harm to come to the chicks (if they do hatch out)

Will the other hens adopt them or just fight over them ?

Would the cock just kill them ?

I have a large cardboard box, could I remove them (the chicks) and the hen that has been sitting on them to the box ?

I did use the box when I was hatching the eggs, I kept the new chicks in there for 8 weeks then let em loose in the run, okay a bit of fuss, but nothing major

They are due to hatch next week or there abouts
It's all about the journey, not the destination

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: I have several of my hens gone broody on me
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 21:49 »
Hi Pepsi, sorry no one has replied to your post yet.  I'm afraid I've only ever used an incubator, so don't really know the answer.  But I think it depends on the chickens.  Some will readily accept Mum and new chicks, but others can bully or even worse a chick that isn't their's.

I'm pretty sure Joyfull's hen has had a couple of lots of chicks, and integrated with the other adult birds quite readily.

Good luck!

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 22:10 »
I usually use an incubator, hence the question about the other hens bullying or eve killing the chicks
Would the cock kill them or even be interested in them ?

Thanks for the reply though

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:45 »
Would the cock kill them or even be interested in them ?
[/quote

From previous posts on here there is a possibility that the cock could harm them :(

Could you put a small run/nest box within your existing run. I have done this in the past and it works well when you come to integrate them as well. If so it doesn't have to cost a lot - I bet you could find something lying around the house to use as a nest box  (even a cardboard box) and could put a small run together it doesn't need to be large. Good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 08:55 »
WOW, others have had the same problem, I did a search and couldnt find anything (havent got any links to the other posts have you ?)

The coop leads to an open hatch to the run, she is in one of the boxes they all lay eggs in (gets a bit cramped when the others want to lay an egg)

I could sort of halve the coop, but the roosting area is at the far end and if I did that, they wouldnt have anywhere to roost + all their feed is in the roosting area

Is putting them in a box when they hatch out any good ? They would be seperated for a time until they can defend themselves or got a bit bigger

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 08:56 »
my broodies are usually seperated off in a broody coop for a couple of days after hatching (a single storey rabbit hutch would suffice if you don't have a broody coop). I keep them shut in until they have had their morning feed and then let them out. The others (hens and cockerels) have never been a problem - they are curious and have a good look but usually they are more interested in trying to eat the chick crumb. I buy organic chick crumb as it is unmedicated so the adults if they eat it we can still eat their eggs. If using unmedicated feed make sure you have some coxoid or baycox available just in case you see signs of coccidiosis.
The chicks will huddle under mum if they get cold and mum will also teach them to dust bathe, eat the grass etc.
Mid afternoon I round them up and get them back in the broody coop with their own feed and fresh water. I love hatching with broodies and have never had any problems with other hens/cockerels attacking them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Broody Hens

Started by Tazzy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 17:43
by joyfull
sad
broody hens

Started by joyce c on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 15:00
by Legbar
xx
broody hens

Started by beticha on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 18:41
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.