Growing > Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

Tomatoes

(1/3) > >>

colinc:
My tomatoes have grown to about 4ft high, do I need to stop them growing they have a lot of fruit on them.

mumofstig:
You usually only do this towards the end of the growing season so that the plant ripens the fruit it has already set, rather than carry on making new ones.

Are they outside or in the greenhouse?...this'll make a difference to how may can be ripened :unsure:

colinc:
they are in the green house

mumofstig:
I'll move this over to 'Greenhouses and Polytunnels' then  ;)

Are they up to the eaves already, cos some people do stop them then, but I leave mine to follow the roof-line until the end of August/beg September before I stop them............the more the merrier for me.

What doesn't ripen goes in green tomato chutney :lol:

Hobnails:
I find that greenhouse varieties giving heavy yields in the first two or three trusses rarely make anything worthwhile in subsequent trusses and are not worth bothering with.

For that reason I already have replacement plants growing on the bench and will grub out existing plants that show no great promise in later trusses in favour of new plants that will ( hopefully) take me well into Autumn.

I'll rely on the outdoor growing crop for supplies until the new greenhouse plants come into bearing- which should coincide with the end of the outdoor crop.
That's the plan anyway!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version