What could this be?

• 3 Replies

Jellyhead

What could this be?
« on: September 04, 2007, 22:26 »
Hello all, Lost my first Chook (Priscilla) today through ill health. I noticed a weeks or so ago that the feathers on her back were a bit fluffy and a bit sparse in one area but thought she was moulting. tonight my little girl found her leaning on her wing and breathing like she was snoring. Her feet were cold and she was shivering a little. I checked her over for any wounds and brought her indoors but she died a few hours later. Does anyone have any ideas what it could have been? Thanks.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

muntjac

What could this be?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 23:23 »
has she had a soaking recently? is this the only bird affected /.is she old, did she continue to eat and drink. has she been wormed and deloused
still alive /............

Jellyhead

What could this be?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 18:47 »
Excuse the ignorance but unless you mean soaking of rain I dont know what you mean. Anyway, no soaking of rain, about a year and a half old, still eating and drinking. They were all wormed about 4 months ago. She hadnt been deloused but i check them all regularly and there is no sign of lany critters.

muntjac

What could this be?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 22:29 »
ok sounds like aspergollosis .. culling is the only answer
it comes from breathing in mouldy matter spores ie from stale bedding etc ,if they are on old straw .. or hay the spores can be traced to that also  i would suggest you dig the base of the coop over completly  rake it level .then apply a spraying of disinfectant .old vegetable matter and feaces wil stay on the soil and the spores can come from this .. some folks who use bark chippings can also find this in old bedding stuff

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 31 queries.