Anyone else feeling like an episode of the Good Life

• 29 Replies

Trillium

Re: Anyone else feeling like an episode of the Good Life
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 03:07 »
Are you saying that almost no UK houses have basements/cellars? That is SO weird. Over here, it's very rare to not have a cellar, even if it's just a smallish one in old houses. Newer homes (say in the last 40 yrs) have very large basements so that there's usually a large family room, tool room and some sort of storage area and then some, very often with a 2 pc washroom, sometimes 3pc. Houses without basements are a very hard sell here. People depend on them for extra rooms. A few folk fit them out as rental flats if they really need extra money. A good friend of mine has a curving staircase into her basement and the pool table takes pride of place, and there's 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, utility room (for furnace, etc) and a large workshop with french door walkouts from both areas. She has a lot of family over for weekends.

My office is in the basement which is almost 8 ft tall. We fitted it out properly just like a room with insulation, raised floors, plasterboard walls, trim, phone connection, door, carpet, etc. And yes, my basement larder would be very similar to that Amish one. It's not quite as large as I'd like but it's big enough for the 3 of us. I don't know where I'd store all our preserves and veg without it.
And, whenever we get tornado or hurricane warnings (yes, they can hit inland), the basement is the safest place to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 10:38 »
Old houses, here, tend to have outhouses rather than cellars, I find.
Most of the old victorian housing stock used to have coal cellars, with room for other storage, but when the floor boards rotted out the thing at the time was to replace with concrete floors, so the cellars were filled and capped :(

Yours and American houses are a lot bigger, so end up with large cellars...lucky you Trillium.. We are just green with envy ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 16:22 »
I am green with envy too  :ohmy: :ohmy:

Sounds lush  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sam44

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 11:58 »
I read an article by Chrisopher Lloyd on veg gardening when he said he refused to feel oppressed by his harvest.  Daft I thought - who gets oppressed by a harvest.  Me that's who  :lol:

The freezer is crammed to busting with frozen soft fruit and tomato pasta sauce.  This is the store cupboard so far.......

and this is the result of the last 2 days of frantic squirrelling away

I didn't grow the mushrooms but they were a bargain so I shoved them in the dehydrator.  It's drying the 2nd batch now with more dried tomato slices.

And it's only August so plenty more to come yet  :ohmy:  ;)  :lol:

WOW i am so jealous of you...i only have a pot cupboard in the dining room to store my jam and bits...your so organized...i like the sound of your dehydrator too...i am even more jealous of the lady with the huge cellar...ahh well i'll have to get sorted and find some where suitable to keep it all once it starts coming in... :ohmy:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 19:22 by Yorkie »

Livinhope

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 13:39 »
I had 8 cucumbers and about 3 lb apples my daughter technically scrumped, so using Vals' recipe for cucumber and apple chutney (more or less) I now have 8 jars of a rather nice accompaniment to whatever.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 15:31 »
Wish me luck - I'm going in  :ohmy:  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 19:40 »
Hope you'll be wearing latex gloves  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 17:59 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: I was looking a bit Lady Macbeth by the end of that lot.  Now got beetroot relish, pickled beets and beetroot in raspberry jelly (an old recipe I found that sounded so mad I had to try it)  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 18:21 »
That sounds quite nice, actually  :)

So now I need the recipe  :lol:......something else to make  ::)

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 18:27 »
Someone (possibly New Shoot under her real name) sent me the recipe and I've posted it today in the recipe section.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/1746/jellied-beetroot-recipe/
Val
Recipes Galore!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 18:28 »
ooh ta  ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 18:34 »
It wasn't me Val but that's the recipe I found as well.  I used raspberry jelly and I crumbled a couple of dries chillies into the hot liquid as I fancied a spicier twist.

Do you think it will keep the beetroot in good condition longer than traditional pickling - that was my hope  :)

and I forgot to say...I made Sweet Green Pickle (a kind of piccalli idea with green tomatoes) as well and will send you the recipe for this as the taste I had when I put into the jars was fab and that's even before it's matured for a month  ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 18:37 by New shoot »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 18:42 »
I must admit I was surprised that it was made with jelly cubes, I expected a long drawn out recipe using homemade raspberry jelly :D

My son has asked me to try the mango type chutney next....so I need to buy some more spices for that :)

Trillium

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 02:56 »
I use the remaining beet juice to make a nice beet & raspberry jelly that is good on toast. My kids loved it with peanut butter and now can't eat P.B. without beet jelly  ::) It was just beet juice, pectin, sugar and a pkt of raspberry gelatin.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 20:41 »
i've got the next bext thing a good old fasioned pantry under the stairs and I've emptied out all the junk into the attic conversion and stripped down and varnished the pine shelves which the previous owner thought would look good with sticky back plastic.
Amazing I've only lived here 20 years wanted to do it all that time.

Have started try some new jam and chutney receipes now I've got more space. Also cadged some old sweet jars, which I have filled with nuts and dried fruit.

Have made redcurrent jelly for the first time too lovely.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 30 queries.