gardening with the moon

• 47 Replies

gobs

Re: gardening with the moon
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 20:22 »
To clarify, yes our moons are the same taking into account the 12 hour time difference  :)

Yes, and your climate is not and guess what, our natural flora is not the same either.   It won't hurt much though, as it doesn't matter, so might as well mess about with it. :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Dal

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 20:30 »
Yes, and your climate is not and guess what, our natural flora is not the same either.   It won't hurt much though, as it doesn't matter
I think I'm missing your point here. Lunar planting is lunar planting no matter what the climate or natural flora. Naturally, one would select plants that would grow well in the particular location but the principle doesn't change.

elibump

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 08:36 »
Do any of you take the phases of the moon into account when gardening? Here in France this is so commonplace , everyone seems to do it , all gardening mags have a monthly moon calendar, (I've got one on my fridge). We were a bit sniffy about it at first, but we all need as much help as we can get with this don't we. The moon affects tides and temperaments, so why not plants? For example, the calendars tell you that on, say next Tuesday I can sew lettuce and plant hedge plants, but can't sew tomatoes or cauliflowers, but on Wednesday I can sew carrots and potatoes, but not beans. Sounds complicated but there is a kind of logic. Some days are non-gardening days  - something to do with a lunar knot (!)  -  Whatd 'ya think? Crazy French or not? ???

Which bit are you in?????????????  As well as lunar planting, around here it also has to be balanced with particular Saint's days :wacko:, there aren't half some rows if someone disagrees with which Saint's day you shoud plant something!!  AWT does lunar planting according to his website- its supposed to be something to do with the moon pulling the water up the seedlings or down into the tubers or whatever (rather like the tides)  also, I have read that some scientists have agreed with planting on a new (I think) moon because it is more likely to rain just after cant remember the exact details but its something like that anyway. :)

Good planting.

Carolyn xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 08:43 »
Yes, it does work.  Some arable farmers also use the system.

ICE:  Lunar stuff IS science.

cathangirl

poultrygeist

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 08:49 »

cathangirl

Only if it's undergone repeatable experiments and been independantly peer reviewed. :)

Otherwise claims can't be verified. There's a lot of anecdotal information on the internet that is written to appear like science. This doesn't mean it doesn't work, but it can't be called scientific. ;)

Rob 8)

Salmo

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 10:23 »
Many of the old traditions of planting have a scientific base. For instance, planting marrows and runner beans on "Rook Shooting Day", 12th May, means that be the time they emerge the chance of frost has gone.

zazen999

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 10:45 »
I'm doing trials over the years. Last year's tomato trial resulted in a 46% increase in yield per tomato seed sown [more moon toms made it to fruit as they all germinated], 10% increase in yield per tomato plant that came to fruit; and I am currently in the middle of a garlic trial, with 40 garlics planted out between september and jan and being harvested between march and aug [each garlic gets 6 months exactly in the ground and gets weighed at the start and the end]. The results are still coming through but the first 2 harvests showed a significant increase in size for the moon garlics.

I try and garden by the moon but don't stick to it outside of the trials. You still have to do the outside work and I think that influences just as much as the Moon.

Results of trials are on my blog.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 10:52 »
I think you will find that the traditional days for planting etc were set long before the more modern "Saints" or "Rook shooting" sort of days that have more probably been set on those far more ancient special days.

For example Candlemas is a traditional day set 40 days after Christmas or much more likely 44 days after the shortest day, and a time to do set things on farms and gardens, it is probably been a special day for about 10,000 years, and subsequent religions have used the same day to make their religion more important (Candlemas is known as Groundhog day in the US and it was Bears and Wolf activity for a long time before Groundhogs got involved and predicted the weather)

Plus you need to take into account local weather variations so what may be a tradition in one area is of no use several hundred miles further North or West etc.

No offence to anyone who believes in lunar or any other planting system, I reckon the Sun's height in the sky (IE the calendar) is far more important coupled with putting your head out of the window and taking into account if the weathers any good or not.

Bob

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 12:29 »

cathangirl

Only if it's undergone repeatable experiments and been independantly peer reviewed. :)

Otherwise claims can't be verified. There's a lot of anecdotal information on the internet that is written to appear like science. This doesn't mean it doesn't work, but it can't be called scientific. ;)
Rob 8)

Sorry, but It is all science just none of it proven fact. :lol: Science is still science when you are doing the experiment....it doesn't change at the end whether proved or not  :wacko::lol:

But none of these theories should be reported as facts  :ohmy:(as not proved scientifically) ..................but the other point to be made is that no one will do the actual experiments :lol: Lack of funding is always cited...so no one is interest in proving it one way or the other. We'll never know for sure :(

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 13:12 »
To be honest in all these things we have to place a little hope and trust, people seem to forget that.
 I'm sure Armstrong, Magellan, Columbus etc all had a little hope and trust in their ventures, why do scientist's seem so quick to dispel anything that can't be instantly proven by a formula/theory etc.  :(  after all at some time or another I imagine we couldn't prove even the most simple of things
Moon planting has always brought out the worst in our members sad really when normally we all get on so well.  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

poultrygeist

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 13:12 »
It's still of interest to know if it works or not. Which it seems to from anecdotal reports.
As to why it works is up for anyone's guess. Some believe it to be the influence of mystical spirits and some believe that gravity is increasing hydrostatic pressure to force mroe water up the stem.
I suspect, if it does work, it may be to do with increased light reflected from the full moon, which has been suggested in a small study that was done. Sorry, not got a link to it.
I've not found any evidence that the moon has a tidal effect on the water table (and I have looked a LOT ::)) but if anyone can find any data I for one am open minded.
If it does happen, it should be easy to prove and I would have thought it would have been documented and exploited by now. :)

Rob 8)

catllar

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 13:44 »
wow, I didn't realise my pennyworth would get so many people agitated! :ohmy: Try not to get so worked up, blood pressure and all that. I just think it's an interesting idea but not worth getting tied  in knots over, ( or falling out over) I think its amazing that we all have so many differing opinions, and are prepared to express them. At the end of the day, you have to do what suits you  but be flexible enought to allow other people's opinions.  8)

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 13:51 »
I don't think its agitated, some people go to church, others go to other places, I just shrug my shoulders and get on with me gardening :dry:

Bob

poultrygeist

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 13:53 »
It's always nice to find out what lies behind phenomona. If we just accept a best guess and don't collect data and test out theories, we'll never know what lies behidn it.

I'm far too nosey to just stand back and watch things happen. I need to know WHY !!  :D

That's why I look for evidence rather than just accept someone's word that x is caused by y. :)
But that's my quest, and obviously doesn't interest everyone.

ROb 8)

poultrygeist

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 13:55 »
And if you can find a way of making veg grow better than weeds, I'll be very interested in that too  :D

xx
general gardening

Started by wombling2006 on General Gardening

34 Replies
Last post October 07, 2006, 08:51
by wombling2006
xx
the cost of gardening

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 20:14
by rowlandwells
xx
Veg gardening for children.

Started by DavidT on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post December 04, 2009, 19:20
by DavidT
xx
yet another gardening dilemma

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post August 20, 2007, 12:57
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 29 queries.