Chatting > Design and Construction

How to secure panels of chickenwire to a fruit cage?

(1/2) > >>

DanielCoffey:
Today I discovered that the local Grey Squirrels had shredded the plastic netting that came with my Harrod Strawberry Cage and were inside gorging themselves on the new fruit. There are three local Squirrels and I do not have the necessary airgun license that would be the old fashioned solution.

I intend to upgrade the cage to use galvanised wire but still want it to be tidy and, for preference, able to be disassembled for flat storage at the end of the soft fruit season as well as easy to access the fruit mid-season.

My current thought is to get some more of the 16mm metal tubing with the PVC corners that Harrod supplied and make five separate rectangular panels. They could then have permanently attached galvanised mesh to each one. If I was to cut the mesh to be slightly larger than each panel, fold over the edges by about an inch then use some thin galvanised wire to hold it in place, do you think this would work? Would wire twists every few inches be suitable or maybe one continuous piece all the way along a side spiraling along the aluminium rod to hold the wire into place?

I still need to be able to lift the cage off frequently to access the fruit for picking so thought of using wire twists to assemble the five panels into the complete cage that I could lift off when needed and then untwist and separate at the end of the season for flat storage.

Thoughts?

Kleftiwallah:
Staples - bits of wire bent double with a sharp point at either end.

Cheers,  Tony :)

DanielCoffey:
Sadly they won't work on the Harrod fruit cages - those are Aluminium tubing construction.

Kleftiwallah:
Now you didn't tell us it wasn't wood (although there was the word aluminium in the text).  How about strong plastic covered wire twisted between the mesh and ally tubing?  Cheers,  Tony.

JayG:
If the frame is too large for the trusty sprung plastic clothes pegs to work, perhaps you could use crocodile clips (sometimes called alligator clips, or even crocodile-alligator clips  ::)) to make at least one panel easy to remove for picking (would save having to move the complete cage each time.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version