I have a beak

• 18 Replies

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
I have a beak
« on: August 08, 2009, 13:44 »
 :D, just went out to check my lady on her eggs and I HAVE A BEAK!!!!!

There was one broken shell, but no chick and this little beak sticking out of another and the other 3 still intact.

What would have happened to the one from the 1st shell?
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

too many girls

Re: I have a beak
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 13:50 »
maybe it's hiding under mum's wing.

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 13:51 »
Did check there but there was no sign of it. the other hens cant get to her as we kept her separate

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 13:54 »
haven't got rats have you? i can't see mum eating the whole chick and not leaving any debris and i can't think of any other reason it's missing.

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 13:55 »
leave alone dont want mum to stand on it, its hiding having a nap hard work this hatching lark for them. good luck xxx

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 13:57 »
Nope no rats at presen and they couldnt get in to her anyway. We made it rat proof on purpose.

I will leave her be for now and just pop in to look from above without moving her. I may get a glimpse.

This is so exciting :D

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 14:07 »
It is very exciting, i have seen chicks legs between mums legs and where her bum is they get out of the way of hatching chicks very cleaver little ones are.

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 15:46 »
ok thanks, next daft question though....how long, roughly does it take the chick to hatch out?

I was so determined to be all cool and laid back about this and now Im feeling like a clucky hen :lol:

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 17:14 »
Your lost chick will be stuck to mum's underside in the feathers probably.  If you lift her be very careful not to drop it.  If there are other eggs to hatch probably best to leave her for a while.

I once had a broody sitting and my daughter brought home some supposedly fertile eggs which she put under the hen.  I decided to leave her to sit, though she wasn't isolated from the other hens in the laying house.  Over the next few weeks each egg was broken due to other hens trying to lay in the nestbox until only one remained.  One morning I lifted the hen to find the last egg had been broken.  I put the hen down on the grass and started to clean up the nest box.  Then I noticed a weak little chick chirping in the grass and I realised the last egg had hatched and I'd lifted out mum with the chick stuck to her.  I put mum and chick in a broody coop and the chick survived and grew up unfortunately into a very nasty aggressive cockerel so this story didn't have a happy ending for him.

Best wishes
Truth through science.

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 18:14 »
Just went in to peak from a distance. I didnt see anything but did hear some cheaping! So I know that there is at least one alive in there at the moment. Happy days. At least they are safe ina brooder with mum for now, cant wait to see them :D

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 07:20 »
One fluffy yellow chick so far. 3 more eggs intact :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 07:29 »
ahhhh, congratlations hunny- fingers crossed the others will be ok xx

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 09:31 »
glad you saw one ha ha, mum will sit tight untill all hatch, its is a waiting game does not help your nerves. If mum thinks theres a chick inside she wont leave the eggs its just so wonderfull.
Hatching I have never timed it some can hatch from the first pip ( hole) in about a hour some take longer its hard work and they take lots of  rests,,
 but I have had some hatch 24 hours after the first one has hatched,  IMHO fresh eggs hatch on the due date or even 24 hrs before stale eggs can take up to 4 days past due date to hatch.
So if broody is still sitting just leave her, chicks are ok for 3 days without food, have you got the food and water ready for them?

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 09:33 »
Thanks for the info, Yep food water and seperate run and house for mum and baie(s) is all ready. Surprising really as I am not usually so organised :blink:

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 09:39 »
this may sound dumb but is she in the house with run now?

xx
what do i do with beak????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 21:24
by chickenlady
exclamation
Hen beak

Started by granigale on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 15:14
by joyfull
xx
Beak help

Started by MrsTruper on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 20:20
by Chookiechook
xx
Twisted top beak

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 07:43
by Casey76

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 39 queries.