Ponds

• 4 Replies

daisyroots

Ponds
« on: May 12, 2006, 10:33 »
I would really like to attract frogs, birds etc to my new allotment by having a small pond / water feature but we have no running water, what can you suggest?

Many thanks

ang

Ponds
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 11:59 »
On the allotment we took over we found a sunken bath type thing that had frogs in it. There is no running water to it. So I'm guessing they found their way there over a period of time. We do have a pond at home this has running water but about 18 months after it was built we do now have a resident frog and he/she has been with us for the last couple of years. We live in a normal type street near a busy road. So I'm also guessing this frog found us on it's travels. Sorry couldn't be of more help

daisyroots

Ponds
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 12:09 »
Thanks, I guess they are happy with stagnent water then!! I'm fine with that!

bob_fox

Ponds
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 23:18 »
Iv'e got a wildlife pond in my garden that has no running water. Its just a large plant pot sunk into the ground. We put some oxygenating plants in and they seem to keep the water fairly clear. The other day we counted 3 frogs in it along with a couple of water snails. The birds come and have drink from it a lot as well.

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
Ponds
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 23:53 »
i cleaned out my OH mums pond last weekend and as well as 30 odd fish there were about 20 mature frogs and also about a dozen newts some of which are pregnant. well i replaced a lot of the water after cleeaning the liner , pumps and water fall. finally i reduced the amout of plants in the pond by half.

xx
Wildlife ponds

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 14:18
by PAH48
xx
New allotment rules - ponds allowed!

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 09, 2018, 19:58
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 28 queries.