growing vegetables in containers

• 3 Replies

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:34 »
advice please ! How deep to make the containers ? Intend making wooden containers from pressure treated wood (protected inside with plastic sheet with drainage holes )Hope to grow Runner beans,Dwarf Beans, Courgettes ,Salads and maybe strawberries.

Still raining outside !! can't get anything done ! busy thinking up new projects and making plans !!Hubby is feeling nervous ,he can see a long list of jobs emerging.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Lardman

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 13:53 »
Someone will be along shortly who knows what they're talking about - but ..

I grew Runners in an 18" x 12" deep pot last year using a 4 cane wigwam. I picked around 300 Desiree beans from 8 plants. Even with the weight of the pot (ceramic) and compost the lot blew over twice and I had to brace it against the shed.

The Dwarf beans I put in a 12" x 12" container gave me 5 beans across the year -  wasn't impressed.

Courgettes I managed 7 from one plant (black forest climbing) again from a 12" x 12 " pot, which to be honest was enough :D

Salads I use cheap garden troughs, they're around 6-8 inches deep and most of the stuff seems happy.

I used good compost and applied a good helping of chicken pooh a while before planting. I also fed with tom feed when they looked hungry. The hardest part was keeping the runners watered.

Hope that helps

kezlou

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 18:58 »
Hi Corndolly,

Hi i'm doing the same thing at the moment, haven't got a garden so its containers for me too! Another way to make containers if your on a budget like me is too cut the tops off ordinary plastic milk bottles and use the bottoms for growing salad leaves in them. Mine are working so far.

Last year i grew salad leaves, basil, coriander, carrots and spinach in pots. It all worked out but they do take  lot of watering especially in hot weather.

This year i'm doing the same things as last year but this time i'm also growing cucumbers, chillies, leeks, potatoes, tomatoes, beetroot among others.

My cucumbers and tomatoes are just in cheap plastic pots at the moment and seem to be doing well outside. You can buy 15 terracotta pots for £1 out of the pound shop. Would only do one cucumber and one tomato per pot as they require quite a bot of space for roots to grow. THe pots are about 10cms down i think maybe more and twenty cm across if thats any help.

My local pound shop and Wilkinson's are my new home currently, as they have some good offers on at the moment.

Big square and round containers which i am currently using for both carrots and parsnips in. All sprouting and growing so far (fingers crossed).

Large fleeces and poly tunnels both for a quid.

Try and get quite long and deep containers for the carrots to stop slugs from getting at them.

Ordinary dustbin, drill some holes in the bottom as there a perfect container for growing potatoes, my first trying this but been told it works. Only time will tell.

Hanging baskets:

Currently have three filled with cherry tomatoes and one with strawberry seeds in.

Two square containers filled with various beans and peas.
Another two with broccoli in. One long rectangle one with onion.
Grow bag with lettuces in them .

Only problems so far is drainage and the constant watering. Be sure to separate the tomato feed from ordinary water for the courgettes. I'll let you know how mine are getting one as i'm a total novice too.
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

wet behind the ears

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 21:59 »
Hi

My first attempt at veg growing last year was all done in containers - I thought I'd see if I could actually grow anything before I dug over the patch in my garden.

I grew Fennel, Cabbages, Sweetcorn, French Beans, Potatoes, Spinach, Carrots, Beetroot, Courgettes all in the large primary coloured plastic tubs they sell at most DIY stores.  The kind you usually put the kid's toys in - all drilled with holes and crocks in the bottom.

I also grew Strawberries, Tomatoes and Cut and Come Again lettuce in hanging baskets.  I got crops from all of them, some lots (strawberries) some little (tomatoes), but the bug definitely bit and the beds were dug in Autumn.  My repertoire has increased massively this year with the addition of a greenhouse as well.  Let's hope last year wasn't beginner's luck and I actually get something this year as well!   :flower:

xx
vegetables in containers

Started by Dodo on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 14:02
by philskin
xx
Soil for growing vegetables

Started by rachelw on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 12, 2006, 15:42
by noshed
xx
Successional growing vegetables

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 22:59
by solway cropper
xx
blogs for growing your own vegetables

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 14:32
by Kristen

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 38 queries.