Is this really what things have come to?

• 16 Replies

Lardman

Is this really what things have come to?
« on: October 08, 2022, 17:48 »
I'm used to seeing security tags on large joints of meat and cheese but I noticed this evening that my lambs liver also has one on. Are things really so bad supermarkets feel the need to security tag £1.60 worth of offal ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Is this really what things have come to?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 18:38 »
That is odd, I agree  :wacko: If that wasn't a mistake they'll be tagging everything soon  ::)

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 20:42 »
Does seem rather extreme.
I can’t imagine that a typical shop lifter would wander out with a pack of lambs liver in their pocket. If for no other reason that they would be likely to have to get their coat dry cleaned for more than £1.60.
Keep digging

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 21:03 »
It's not been that long since I bought the last packet (3 week?) it wasn't tagged then. I thought I was going mad when I saw the sticker. It's not like I can see people stealing it to resell and I've not seen liver being subject to the same treatment as the milk by the protesters.

If anyone is stealing liver to eat rather than the vast amounts of junk food in the shops part of me thinks they deserve to have it.
wrong_in_so_many_ways.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 21:10 »
Ahh you might have answered something I wondered about today. I don’t normally shop in Iceland, but today found myself in there. On looking in the freezers out of interest of what they have I came across what looked to be a leg of lamb encased in what could only be described as a large clear plastic box. I did wonder if it was something to do with it not being stolen!
Does seem a bit extreme for a bit of liver, maybe someone in the back doesn’t know the what it is?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 06:34 »
Anything to do with the government's HFSS policy, and MandS are getting a bit more over-zealous?

Wonder how many more non-jobs will be created to cope with checking every shop in the country which employs more than fifty people?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 10:06 »
Ahh you might have answered something I wondered about today. I don’t normally shop in Iceland, but today found myself in there. On looking in the freezers out of interest of what they have I came across what looked to be a leg of lamb encased in what could only be described as a large clear plastic box. I did wonder if it was something to do with it not being stolen!
Iceland have been doing that for their most expensive cuts of meat for a good few years now. Years ago, before they did, saw a man walk in pick up 4 lamb legs, tuck them in his jacket, turn round and just walk out  :ohmy: A few of us started shouting to staff but the security man said there wasn't much they could do about it, once the thief was out of the shop, other than report it  :mad:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 11:02 »
Iceland have been doing that for their most expensive cuts of meat for a good few years now. Years ago, before they did, saw a man walk in pick up 4 lamb legs, tuck them in his jacket, turn round and just walk out  :ohmy: A few of us started shouting to staff but the security man said there wasn't much they could do about it, once the thief was out of the shop, other than report it  :mad:

We are told in no uncertain terms not to follow people out of the shop as it you are not covered on their insurance if you get hurt outside.  We know our shop lifters and kick them out on sight, but people have been  threatened with hypodermics before now on challenging the sticky fingered fraternity.  It is not worth it for even 4 legs of lamb  :(

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 11:19 »
Goodness, crime does pay it would appear  :mad:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 11:23 »
It is a job for some.  Most of ours are addicts of some description and looking for money for that.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 12:43 »
On a lighter note...
When I worked in retail one fun trick to play on visiting bosses was to secrete a security tag on them or in their briefcase etc.
My boss popped next door to buy something and as he left, off went the alarm. When he told them what they did, the security guard said he was the third boss they'd 'caught'
They must have really hated me in that store.. I had 3 in my jacket and 2 in my briefcase.  :D
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 13:01 »
When I worked at the garden centre all the staff would leave together at the end of the day.  We had mandatory bag checks that managers had to do.  We had a bag of coloured balls and if you got a red, you got a bag check.

One day the MD and entourage visited and were leaving with the rest of us.  I was on bag checks when he swept through, at which point the centre manager literally shoved me forward to make him take a ball.  He was a bit taken aback, but did it and got a green (much to my relief).  Even better he thought it was funny and didn’t sack me on the spot  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 13:36 »
Supermarket self-checkouts can be a lot of fun!  ::)

A few weeks ago I was scanning the rows for the next available machine - a young woman had scanned and packed two bags of goodies and was the first to finish, so in I nipped.
The machine was displaying 'do you want to continue', and when I summoned help the assistant just sighed and said 'another walk-away', meaning she had scanned all her items and then just walked away without paying.
They didn't bother trying to go after her - all a bit too easy methinks.  :unsure:

Even honest customers can get into slight trouble - whisky has a security tag which has to removed before leaving the shop, but if you chose not to have a printed receipt, as many do these days, you can't prove to the assistant you did actually pay for it, so he or she has to print one out for themselves. Not quite fully thought through!
(The new machines deliver the receipt at about knee level, and as often as not it drops straight onto the floor - thanks Tossco!  :nowink:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 13:43 »
... The machine was displaying 'do you want to continue', and when I summoned help the assistant just sighed and said 'another walk-away', meaning she had scanned all her items and then just walked away without paying...
For more tips on reducing shopping costs....  :D

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 14:04 »
I'm reading a book about wartime Britain at the moment. It says that offal was unrationed then, though you couldn't always get it. Maybe things are that bad to answer your question Lardy.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 19:15 by bayleaf »

xx
Things are not going too well...

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 13:31
by Goosegirl
xx
Little Things mean a lot.

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post November 17, 2020, 16:47
by GraciesGran
clip
Things I don't believe in...

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post February 03, 2019, 16:09
by jaydig
xx
things they used to say

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2021, 20:09
by Aidy

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 55 queries.