Propagating Buddleja?

• 14 Replies

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Propagating Buddleja?
« on: June 13, 2008, 19:05 »
What's the best time to do this and how?

Fanks  :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 20:09 »
I'd try now to be honest, take softwood cuttings from the growing tips, make sure you get 3 or 4 leaf joints on your cutting, cut just below a leaf joint remove the leaves from the bottom 2 leaf joints with a sharp knife. Plant them in a 50:50 sand compost mix, water well and keep moist. I'd put them in a plastic bag or propagator if you can, but make sure they are not in direct sunlight. Don't let them dry out hopefully after about 14 days they should have rooted.  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 20:18 »
Thanks very much...  :)

gobs

Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 20:29 »
Or just go down the railway track and dig up a few self-sown ones or pull it out of embankments, etc. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 20:34 »
Yeah, they grow everywhere, don't they... I have quite a few in my garden and if I get an allotment will need something to put where my veggie patch is now... I love them!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 20:45 »
My friend Sharon gave me a Buddleia Globosa, (sp??) and it needed trimming, so when I'd taken off the 'bits' I just stuck them in rooting powder and planted in a pot and they all rooted!!

Have you got a Globosa Tigerhair?  The cutings I've got left are a bit big for posting now, but if you'd like a couple of cuttings, I can take some more.  Just PM me your address and I'll wrap them up!!!

[/IMG]

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 20:55 »
That is so kind, but, yes, I have one that I grew from a cutting from a plant in my Mum and Dad's garden.  They have a beautiful pale pink buddleja in their garden (they took a "cutting" at a National Trust garden two years ago)...  I am getting some cuttings of that this year - would you like me to send you a couple?

Imogen  :D

GrannieAnnie

Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 22:38 »
Just going to PM you!!!!!

fletch

• Experienced Member
Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 23:26 »
Grannie, if you have a couple of spare cuttings....... I'm sure I could have a look around and find something suitable for a swap?
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

GrannieAnnie

Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 23:38 »
PM me your addy fletch and I'll send you a couple, but they will be fresh cut, not rooted, is that okay????

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 07:51 »
I have a variety of buddleja - I can send you some too... as above (not rooted).

Also Annie - who is that gorgeous face in your picture?

GrannieAnnie

Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 23:48 »
Quote from: "Tigerhair"
I have a variety of buddleja - I can send you some too... as above (not rooted).

Also Annie - who is that gorgeous face in your picture?

LOL Imogen, well it isn't me that's for sure!!!!

That is Penny, she's our nearly 7 year old rescued labxspringer.  She was born in Catterick Garrison n the gun club there, and they breed teh crosses so you get a dog that goes anywhere and will retrieve anything!  She is such a tresre.  One year she caught 15 moles!

She taught herself to go and pick up the TV remote when we were eating and gave it to my Brian.  So he said thank you and gave her a little treat off his plate, since then she does it every mealtime!!!!! lol  And she helps unload the shopping from the car.  when we get home she will carry things into the house and gives them to you.  but I mustn't bore you, or you'll wish you hadn't asked!!!!   :lol:

This is her carrying the little bucket that I give the chooks their corn in back to the shed for me!!  

[/IMG]

Arls0308

Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 13:56 »
Hi,

I realise this is a bit cheeky, but if anyone has any cuttings (rooted or not) or small plants then if they could PM me I'll get back to them asap. I'm currently clearing the back of my lottie and we're going to plant some butterfly/bee friendly shrubs/plants etc which will (hopefully) attract bees, butterflies and ladybirds etc, make a nice shaded area to rest in and hide the ugly corrogated tin 'fence' of the allotment behind us.

I have asked on freecycle, but not had any luck.

I will happily pay for postage - either to yourselves or make a donation to a charity of your choice.

Cheers,
Arls
Arls (Allotmenteer since March 08!)

"Earth is here so kind, that just tickle her with a hoe and she laughs with a harvest." Douglas William Jerrold

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 20:28 »
Oh Annie, she is so beautiful and sounds like a lovely soul.  They warm your heart, don't they.... Thanks for the insight into her little world - I love dogs and never can get enough of the stories behind all those special people.  

Arls, PM me with your addy and I'll send you a variety of cuttings, gladly.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Propagating Buddleja?
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 23:01 »
If I hadn't pulled them up you could have had seedlings from my garden which had come from next door's.  They tend to self seed everywhere.  Probably why you do see them in derelict areas and railway sidings.
Teen

xx
How to get rid of Buddleja & Vinca from my drive

Started by Deano_The_Beano on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 14:50
by kattcottrell
xx
Buddleja cuttings, you've guessed it!

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 14:49
by Kleftiwallah
xx
propagating laurier

Started by kkc on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2016, 10:08
by kkc
xx
Propagating Hawthorn

Started by upert on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 19:20
by Celtic Eagle

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 35 queries.