If you're short of room...

• 5 Replies

Scribbler

If you're short of room...
« on: October 06, 2009, 17:20 »
Try growing potatoes in a box, like this.

Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Trillium

Re: If you're short of room...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 17:58 »
That looks a lot like my compost box. If I have spare 'rings' I'll give it a go and see how well the potatoes produce.

Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 18:23 »
Here's some more info.

Quite the clever gardening tip here folks! Today’s feature includes tips from three different sources for growing potatoes vertically (in layers) instead of spread out in rows across your garden. If you have limited garden space or want to try some nifty gardening magic, this could be a great option for you.

First, there’s this article from The Seattle Times: It’s Not Idaho, But You Still Can Grow Potatoes:
The potatoes are planted inside the box, the first row of boards is installed and the dirt or mulch can now be added to cover the seed potatoes. As the plant grows, more boards and dirt will be added.

You plant potatoes in one bottom layer, boarding up the sides of each layer and adding dirt as you go higher (you wait until the plants have grown a bit before adding a new layer). While new potatoes are growing in the top layers, remove the boards from the first layer at the bottom to carefully dig out the potatoes that are ready for harvesting. Fill the dirt back in and board up the box again. You move up the layers and harvest as the potatoes are ready. I imagine the new potatoes in the first couple bottom layers would be somewhat awkward to get at but as you move higher–not so bad.

I traced the information provided in the article to Irish Eyes Garden Seeds, they have another how-to article online here: How to Grow 100 lbs. of Potatoes in 4 Square Feet. They also advise you can skip the box and try growing the potatoes in a barrel or wire cage instead.

In another article on The Seattle Times (How To Grow Potatoes At Home), I came across this blog post from Sinfonian’s Square Foot Garden that details his attempt at growing potatoes with this potato box method: Build-As-You-Grow Potato Bins. The info was from last year (lots of pics) and he’s promised updates of this year’s attempts. He added this tip for a better yield:

Greg from Irish-Eyes Garden City Seeds let me know that Yukon Golds, and all early varieties set fruit once and do not do well in towers. You only get potatoes in the bottom 6 inches, which is what I got. Late season alternatives to yukon gold are Yellow Fin and Binjte.

Reader Update: Here’s some info sent in by Christine who made a potato bin using wood pallets:
Last weekend, I was inspired by the Tip Nut potato bin – grow 100 lbs in 4 square feet. As nice as it looked, it seemed to be very complicated, especially unscrewing slats. Being a “just do it” kind of person, I asked my husband to build me one using pallets — which are free. He picked some up, but I realized that they were enormous, so he cut them in half and made side by side compost / potato growing bins.
The Tip Nut plan called for unscrewing the bottom portions to get the grown potatoes out. Rod attached pieces of wood to hold the front pallet in place and to allow you to slide it up like a window. I took books of hay to stuff in the openings of the potato bin so the dirt wouldn’t fall out. We’ll see how it does.
Here’s a photo:

goodegg

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 20:26 »
its easier to grow them in an old plastic dustbin and a lot less hassel just need a few small holes in bottom of bin 4ins compost plant spuds when they pop through put more compust on top to cover them . you get a bin full of spuds form bottom of bin to the top every time they come poking up put another 4ins compost.till you reach top of bin mine for Christmas are a foot above bin now.

Clover

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:28 »

Greg from Irish-Eyes Garden City Seeds let me know that Yukon Golds, and all early varieties set fruit once and do not do well in towers. You only get potatoes in the bottom 6 inches, which is what I got. Late season alternatives to yukon gold are Yellow Fin and Binjte.

Interesting Scribbler - I don't need to do the box thing, but I was wondering about earthing up.  I am planning to grow some of the Mayan phureja types again next year so presumably it's pointless earthing them up beyond a point.

Also I read in the "Heligan Vegetable Bible" that Ratte grow horizontally and so they don't need earthing up either.  I've been wondering since then if this would apply to any others and especially relations, such as pink fir and perhaps anya as it's half descended from pink fir.

Does anyone know?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:34 by Clover »

BazTheGardener

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:18 »
I grew Pink fir this year and earthed up. When I harvest them there was some quiet close to the surface so I would earth them up.
I did think about my early and second early as they were all quiet deep around the seed pot. So I might chance not earthing them up next year.

BtG
First Time Veg grower

xx
how much room do i need?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 22:17
by Sheena
xx
I've run out of room

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 19:24
by Eightball
xx
what should i do with this little bit of room?

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 02:58
by leeky
xx
Not enough room!

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 09:15
by HLS

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 35 queries.