Leeks advice

• 10 Replies

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
Leeks advice
« on: April 05, 2021, 16:16 »
I started my leeks off in a deep tray on 24 Feb, they are about 7 cm high and a couple of mm thick. I have thinned them out to allow space to grow. Everyone says they should be planted out when about pencil thickness. How long should that take, I'm concerned that they should be there by now, according to all the things I have read, it says plant out in early April, but they are nowhere near that size. I haven't used any fertilizer at all. Last year they didn't get big either, am I missing something here I wonder. I've attached a picture of them taken about a week ago. Any advice please?
Soil blocks resized.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Leeks advice
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 17:16 »
You could give them a liquid feed, but while it's still chilly they won't grow much.
I wouldn't worry about being in a hurry to plant them, mine don't go in until the first early potatoes are dug up  ;)

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 17:41 »
Thanks for the reassurance mumofstig. Feel better about them now .👍

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 20:34 »
They look fine to me and there is no rush to be planting them out just yet.
The way I sow leeks is directly into a 2ltr rose pot this allows better root development and they can stay in there longer than in a seed tray if conditions aren't favourable to plant out.
They are easier to divide at planting time too. I just submerge the pot in a large bucket of water then remove the pot and gently move them around and they almost separate themselves.
The leeks i have grown for the table are about the same size as yours so no worries.
The leeks i grow for show are getting potted on tomorrow into 15ltr buckets ready for final planting out 2nd week of May, so you definitely have plenty time.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 21:01 »
My leeks went in this time last year. Harvested them last week and they were about the same size as spring onions.
Ches

jezza

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 20:05 »
Hello wait till first early potatoes are lifted and plant in the same row,we use to grow 11 acres of leeks they were sown in 1inch×1inch blocks as now then planted towards the end of May for early  cropping then another lot planted towards  end of June beginning of July  jezza

lettice

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 09:22 »
I always sow my Leeks around end of March or early April in an unheated greenhouse in 4 inch deep trays. They germinate in a few weeks.
My choice for many decades has been Musselburgh.
During mid to end of May or have some years left some till first week of June I plant them out when they are about 8 inch tall and pushing pencil width.

Still picking leeks from last years planting at the moment, so the raised bed dedicated to them is not empty yet.

Tried all sorts of sizes of containers over the years, but found these 8 inch diameter/depth pots have worked well for a few years.
Do also sow leeks for my Dad the same way. Once they are up he can take away the container and let them continue growing in his greenhouse.

Here are some of my pots with some growing nicely;
2021-04-11 09.10.50.jpg

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 05:37 »
It took me a few years to realise that there are three real seasons for leeks, the summer lot weren't needed until winter one year, and just stopped doing anything! Lesson learned...

Musselburgh are just fine for Winter crops, but a Bandit variety suits us the best, as it over-winters until April!

Our leeks are exactly like yours, Lettice!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 09:29 »
Our leeks are exactly like yours, Lettice!

and mine are still in the seed packet  :ohmy: oops!

al78

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 14:13 »
Mine are about that size. I just leave them too it, give them a liquid feed once a week. I don't usually plant leeks out until early June and even then they are not pencil thickness, but I don't care, they grow happily enough when planted out. Things are growing slower now because April has been colder than average so far, it snowed again in Horsham this morning.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 06:32 »
Leeks seem to respond to a liquid feed much easier than feeds. We put it down to the fact that when it's applied, much of it gets caught up in the folds at the top, and while you might think this discolours the veg, it doesn't appear to, and the stuff can easily get down to the roots at some stage later!

We use 6x tea, with any comfrey/nettle tea we have, and they love this mixture!

Our days of growing around 250 leeks down on 'The Patch' are over now, so 40 or so at home are enough for us!

xx
Leeks advice

Started by Aled on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 16, 2013, 12:22
by RichardA
xx
Advice on planting leeks please!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 22:31
by Salmo
xx
Growing Leeks Advice Please.

Started by Digger Tom on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 12:06
by Kristen
xx
Any advice on how to grow celery and leeks?

Started by carlotta on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 12:05
by carlotta

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 52 queries.