runner beans got sunstroke

• 4 Replies

Anton

runner beans got sunstroke
« on: July 19, 2009, 19:56 »
My runner beans had a touch of black fly so I went with a mixture of soap (ecovert) and water to spray on them about five o'clock yesterday evening. There was some sun but I didn't think it would do much any harm. Today I see some of the leave are a bit burnt. Right at the top where the plant is curling around the top of the cane the branch is burnt to a crisp. I suppose this was my soap mixture in the sun that did this damage? Could it be anything else (the plants are in flower and a few beans are developing). Will the plants recover?

Anton

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: runner beans got sunstroke
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 20:18 »
My french beans do this  crispy leaf thing if it's been very windy, wind burn i suppose :(
They always seem to recover as long as you water them :)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 21:07 »
I seem to get this when i spray with soapy water (not me my plants)
Thanks
Kris

duriancake

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 21:49 »
Hi

I've not used soapy water as a plant spray before as this gyo hobby is still rather new to me. But I was wondering whether the sunburn is due to the fact that the soap soultion is a surfactant which acts to reduce surface tension (although you were using it here to deter the pests) but then leaves a thin film or residue of soap molecules. This then behaves as a fine magnifying glass and concentrates the rays of sunlight which leaves the leaf surface as if it was under a greenhouse - with consequential increasing surface temperature.

This reminds me of the few occasions when I've got home from work and found the seedlings keeled over on those days when I've left the seed trays outside with the clear lids on and had not expected the weather to be too warm.

Cheers.

Anton

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:36 »
Thanks for the answers. Well, I was surprise that it might be the soap because I do this quite often without any disasters. I think the suggestion that it might be the wind is a big possibility, as it was very windy the day I discovered the "crispy" leaves.

Anton

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
French beans and runner beans

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 13:19
by Thrift

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 40 queries.