Turnip/Swede Leaves

• 3 Replies

Nicolak

Turnip/Swede Leaves
« on: June 14, 2014, 09:32 »
Hello, I am a total beginner so I don't want to annoy you with my ignorance. I have many questions but for now I would be happy if someone can tell me if it is ok to cut back some leaves from my turnip plants.  I have a small raised bed and have a few turnips growing very well.  However the leaves are large and blocking the light from the parsnips I have beside them.  The same is happening with my Brussels Sprouts on the other side.  They are shading the carrots.  Everything seems to grow well but I would like to cut back the leaves on both to allow more sun.  Will this damage my veg?

Thanks for any help.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Turnip/Swede Leaves
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:13 »
Welcome to the site  :)

The leaves are neede for the plants to keep growing. How far off being ready to harvest are they? Could you pick some to create some more space?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Nicolak

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 10:47 »
Hello, thank you.  Well, no they are not supposed to be ready until mid Autumn.  I didn't leave enough space between, this is pretty clear now.  The leaves are huge.  It is one of the large swede varieties. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 13:22 »
Hi Nicolak and welcome to this wonderful and friendly site. As I have said to many newbies, there is no such thing as a stupid question, nor are any of us "bothered" with someone's ignorance - quite the opposite in fact!  :) All of us love to share our knowledge and experiences, and even the more experienced ones on here make mistakes, so don't worry. Apart from our help, as you continue growing you will learn - as you just have done - and at least you have parsnips growing which some others on here have struggled to germinate - so there - you're doing ok and keep posting!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
sowing swede and turnip seed August?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2017, 16:47
by Eblana
xx
Turnip leaves

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 11:00
by rainie
xx
Pinholes in my Turnip leaves

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 09:04
by mumofstig
xx
What eats swede leaves?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2010, 14:56
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 38 queries.