Trombocino. What a trooper!

• 10 Replies

Potterer

• Experienced Member
Trombocino. What a trooper!
« on: September 25, 2020, 10:40 »
I have one trombocino (summer squash) plant and it’s so prolific. It’s taken over a big area on my plot but is showing its worth. I probably have 7-10 snake like squash every two or three days and they are tasty and firmer than usual courgettes. I’ve had to give lots away of course but also making lots of dishes for the freezer. Definitely growing this again next year but might grow it up a strong structure!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Trombocino. What a trooper!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 11:10 »
It's great isn't it, I grow some every year up a teepee with string tied around it :)
If you leave the last few ripen, they will store for a couple of months, at least, like a winter squash  :)

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 12:19 »
TThanks mum. I didn’t know they would also store.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 16:53 »
I've grown it for the first time this year and couldn't keep up with the prolific cropping so have some very large ones left, glad to know they will store for a while. I also like what seems to be a stronger, nuttier? taste to them than the ordinary courgette which can sometimes seem a bit bland.Mine have grown up and over the perimeter fencing!

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 17:52 »
Couple of mine allowed to fully grow from a couple of years ago. The 'bulb' end measures about 8" so you can get an idea of their size.
IMG_20181113_114956.jpg

wolveryeti

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 21:03 »
I may have to ban myself from growing trombas next year - could not keep up with how productive they were. Utterly dominated all my other squashes, now I have about 5 fully grown 4kg specimens I have no idea what to do with...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 00:11 »
I've grown them before, I was thinking of trying them again next year!

I think they are considered an edible gourd (edible when they are young!).

I also recall them being highly productive and firmer, nuttier in flavor compared to other summer squash.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 08:17 »
I may have to ban myself from growing trombas next year - could not keep up with how productive they were. Utterly dominated all my other squashes, now I have about 5 fully grown 4kg specimens I have no idea what to do with...

They store for a while as Mum says, but not as long as some squash. You can cut into chunks and roast with seasoning, herbs or spices. The roasted squash freezes well. You can make soup, add to casseroles or make a curry with it.

If you make soup, try grating in fresh root ginger to chopped onion and garlic. Cook down a little, add stock (from stock cubes is fine), seasoning and squash (pre-roasted or raw), simmer and blend.  Roasted squash and homemade stock make it a luxury soup, but the basic version is good as well.  Glorious colour, tastes great, does you the power of good  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 08:46 »
I think they are considered an edible gourd (edible when they are young!).
I also recall them being highly productive and firmer, nuttier in flavor compared to other summer squash.
Always edible  :) I prefer them to courgettes/zucchini and store and cook the ripe ones in the same way as any winter squash/pumpkin.  A few more ideas here https://www.danakayal.com/post/tromboncino-a-near-perfect-vegetable-you-didn-t-know-you-needed

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 14:15 »
Hi. They’re squash rather than gourds. I’ve recently learned that gourds have white flowers, gourds have white. I am also growing Serpente Di Sicilia gourds. I have one that is at least 4 ft long already and many others 2ft upwards. We tried the small fruit but didn’t like the taste so are just letting them grow to see how big they get. I’m not sure what we’ll do with them! I’ve seen photos of them painted as snakes which might work to scare cats away perhaps?

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 17:46 »
Just ordered a pack of Tromb seed as i am not a big fan of Courgettes even though i have grown them for decades.
Hope we get a bit of sun here next year in  Wet Wales ! :)

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 48 queries.