what's gone wrong with my potatoes?

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

what's gone wrong with my potatoes?
« on: September 23, 2020, 13:18 »
We harvested our potato crop about3 weeks ago the best crop we had ever grew the variety was Kestrel i sorted them out and put the good potatoes in a potato box i made frost proof

so every thing looking  fine however when i came to use some of the potatoes i found some where turning a brown colour and starting going bad so I'm at a loss what this could be because the potato's looked fine when we picked them i asked myself could it be potato blight but there was no discolouration on the potato tops when harvested and having grew potatoes on this ground before without any problems its a mystery what this can be

its very disappointing after such a crop of potatoes to turn out like that we grew cara last year without any problems on our other plot and having always grew desiree prior  to that without any problems i just don't know what's the cause of this its very frustrating  not to know:(

Goosegirl

Re: what's gone wrong with my potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 16:11 »
Were they dry when you put them in your box and is it getting enough ventilation?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 15:37 »
yes Goosegirl they where left in the tunnel several days before i got round to sorting them out and putting them in the potato box i left a couple of bags and sorted them out today and they to had some bad potatoes in them so i sorted those and put them in the potato box all i can do now is wait to see how many more go bad through the winter months

and i have to say i grew some other varieties of potatoes in raised beds and they where perfect red duke of York -jazzy-charlotte and pink fir apple no problems

I'm going back to desire next season  :mad:

jezza

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 20:35 »
Hello I've found a couple of storage problems Bacterial soft rot ,tubers with soft and slimy rot  and tubers in store with soft,browned and fluffy grey mould growth
GREY MOULD     jezza

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 18:05 »
I concur with the choice of Desiree to avoid problems.   I always get scab on mine because my soil is alkaline but they have good flavour and are very reliable.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 16:19 »
i have to say since sorting out the bad ones and putting the potatoes in my potato box they seem to be storing quite well [fingers crossed or touch  wood] i think what some of you said about blight was very true so its going to be half and half next season Kestrel V Desiree are we lucky or are we lucky having a wealth of knowledgeable gardeners on this site  :D :D

xx
What is wrong with my potatoes

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 15:15
by mikem
xx
what's wrong with my potatoes?

Started by lozenge on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 07:41
by gobs
xx
What's wrong with my potatoes?

Started by aliveggrower on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 23:03
by Jackypam
xx
Potatoes: We've all been going about it the wrong way...

Started by LotuSeed on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2015, 09:21
by tosca100

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 38 queries.