Help,my Carp are spawning

• 1 Replies

Spana

Help,my Carp are spawning
« on: October 31, 2011, 13:02 »
Well it has been a strange year for things being out of season, fruit trees in blossom in September, that sort of thing, but my fish are acting strange as well now. :unsure:

We have common and mirror carp and usually at this time of year they are slowing down, have stopped feeding and staying close to the bottom.  But for the last week they have been leaping out of the water and are now spawning again. :ohmy: Spawning time is about May-June depending on water temperature. They are wearing spawning colours as well :blink: Water temperature must be low now as we have had a lot of rain. :unsure:

Does this mean they wont spawn next year?  :unsure:

Will eggs hatch now or stay in the water until next year?  :unsure:

Are the fish using up reserves that should be used during the winter? :unsure:

Earlier in the year we had an algal bloom and lost a lot of the big old fish and many tiny babies. Are fish clever enough to be trying to repair their lost numbers? :unsure:

What ever, its really strange, I've never seen anything like it before.  Hope one of you have and can explain it a bit.

Thanks

8doubles

Re: Help,my Carp are spawning
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 14:07 »
It is very unlikely that any spawn produced now will hatch as the water temperature will be too low. Carp do sometimes spawn in response to stress hoping their offspring will survive if they do not.
Weed and algae die back at this time off year can cause de-oxygenation of the water and sometimes more parasites can be picked up by lethargic carp which causes them to jump about when the water warms a bit trying to shake them off.
My goldfish spawned about 4 times june to august so your carp spawning now should have little effect on next years egg production.
An overabundance of offspring is normally the problem with carp .

smiley
koi carp

Started by coppermaran on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post November 09, 2013, 10:33
by sunshineband
xx
How to sell koi carp? Security? etc...

Started by nuzuki on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post December 19, 2012, 11:31
by nuzuki
xx
Poorly carp or goldfish in a pond that came with the house help

Started by grinling on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 23:11
by spottymint
xx
Dilemma - "What to do with 5 lb Grass Carp that died of old age!"

Started by ANHBUC on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post December 27, 2011, 15:45
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 28 queries.