vegetables over winter?

• 5 Replies

Juli

vegetables over winter?
« on: October 26, 2012, 21:02 »
And another one from me...

When we moved here nearly two months ago I got so excited about having a greenhouse that I sowed lots of things straight away even though I knew summer was coming to an end. I now have a few pots of dwarf beans, which are nearly at the flowering stage, spinach, chard and perpetual spinach seedlings, sugar snap peas (about 5cm tall) and lamb's lettuce.

I have today brought all expect the lamb's lettuce into the conservatory, as the nights are going to get very cold (-1 the next two nights) and I'm worried they're not going to survive in the greenhouse.

So, my question is, am I kidding myself? Is there any chance of growing any of these plants over winter, AND actually harvesting something? They'll be warm enough in the conservatory (it's single glazed and falling apart, so gets much colder than the rest of the house, but not as cold as the greenhouse), but are there maybe daylength issues for the sugar snap peas and beans?

I also have spinach, chard, perpetual spinach and lettuce growing outside. Are any of those likely to survive the winter AND be productive over winter?

(And a little side questions: The perpetual spinach seedlings look exactly the same as the green chard seedlings. Is there actually a difference?)

Thanks again  :)
Juli

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: vegetables over winter?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 21:52 »
Spinach and chard are very closely related so their seedlings are indeed likely to be similar.

I think spinach and/or chard are likely to overwinter outside.

I'll move this over to the Greenhouse forum as most of the questions are about that.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:08 »
I've got chard and perpetual spinach plants in the greenhouse (unheated).  They are one stage on from seedlings and have been potted on.

I have them outside as mature plants which I have been picking, but the greenhouse plants are my backups for early planting next year if my plot plants get killed over winter - last year the snow did for most of them.  Productivity depends on temperature - they will slow to a crawl as it gets colder and die back if we get severe weather, so pick what you can while you can. 

Answer is I think, put the chard and perpetual spinach back in the greenhouse as they need to be ticking over, not forced on, and you will get some early pickings next year. 

Lettuce is pretty hardy but will need cloche protection.  They get bitter is they are slow growing, so get them growing and pick and eat up as you can. The beans and peas are a bit of a punt, but if you have a conservatory and already have the plants, don't see what you have to lose by trying  :)

Juli

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 08:24 »
Thanks New Shoot, that's very helpful advice :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:08 »
This I assume is the same company you pointed out to us a while back that charge what most of us consider to be exorbitant prices for seed spuds?

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101555.msg1133037#msg1133037
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 10:12 »
It is Dave i had no idea how many spuds were in the price sorry but if you do not know too much like me anything is a help including people like you and others on this forum.

xx
Carrots for winter

Started by Rosehip on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 23:36
by Rosehip
xx
Winter greenhouse

Started by Margaret on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2006, 09:14
by John
xx
What to grow over winter

Started by Michael D on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 16:12
by sunshineband
xx
What to grow over winter

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 15:46
by tlm1965

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.