Dehydrating Machines

• 22 Replies

goldendaisy123

Dehydrating Machines
« on: April 09, 2012, 15:58 »
Hello!

After a major glut last year of soft fruit I'm thinking about buying a dehydrating machine this year to save a little room in my freezer! I have no experience of these and would welcome any advice on suitable models, I've had a quick search on google and they seem to vary in price so much, do the expensive models produce better results? :unsure:

Thank you

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Dehydrating Machines
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 16:03 »
if you put 'dehydrator' into the search there are many posts - here's one as an example, which may help  ;)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=65021.msg743217#msg743217

goldendaisy123

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 16:33 »
Thank you - just what I needed  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 16:41 »
I got an excalibar last year. I went on the premise that it would be a good idea to get the biggest as I might regret getting the smallest. I actually think I would have been better with the smaller model after all.

It has 9 drying trays and works well;no probs so far.

In all honesty I haven't used it overmuch. Mainly for dried tomatoes so the oven isn't tied up and out of use. I use oodles of those.

Have also dried some plums and grapes which were delicious.

I have to say that it is not my most favourite, must have piece of kitchen kit.
Hope that helps :)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 21:54 »
I forget what model I have but I bought extra trays for it thinking I'd get loads of use from it. Used it a few times the first month, then we got our electric bill. YIKES!!! Haven't used it since. I'm looking for a good idea for a solar food dryer.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:35 »
If you had a glut of soft fruit, Daisy, have you considered getting another freezer, perhaps a small second hand one, if you have space  somewhere. You would only need to run it for as long as you have the fruit.

The dried soft fruit that I dried wasn't nearly so good as the frozen.

ALso do you make jam? or you could try bottling it. Been many years since I did any bottling as I still think frozen fruit is better. :)

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:25 »
I forget what model I have but I bought extra trays for it thinking I'd get loads of use from it. Used it a few times the first month, then we got our electric bill. YIKES!!! Haven't used it since. I'm looking for a good idea for a solar food dryer.

Trillium- there's a build your own book called The Solar Dryer by Eben Fodor that might suit your purposes. It's published by New Society Publishers on your side of the pond!
ISBN 978-0-86571-544-8 www.newsociety.com
I've got the book, but have not yet built the machine. It looks a much cheaper alternative to the expensive power guzzlers on sale.
Best Wishes
hobnails
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 11:08 »
we used to dry food on planks hung from the olive trees and covered with nets to stop the insects getting one them. Feasible for you in your more reliable summer?

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:23 »
just had a look myself hobnails looks pretty good from the pages the site let you look through will hint to my fiancce over in ohio -- that it would make a nice gift for me  :D
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 12:38 »
We have a dehydrator and use it loads, hubby makes beef jerky which is yum  :D

Havent dried any fruit or veg yet but am experimenting today with some toms to see how things turn out.

It is rather bulky tho but did come with attachments for fruit leathers and yogurt I think. 

I will go check the make in a mo!!

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 12:43 »
just had a look myself hobnails looks pretty good from the pages the site let you look through will hint to my fiancce over in ohio -- that it would make a nice gift for me  :D

I'm quite impressed with it Jay as it comes with comprehensive drawings and pictures. Only possible drawback is finding the 200w filament bulbs it uses when the sun is not shining.
Must make an effort to get it put together before summer arrives1

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 12:54 »
We have a dehydrator and use it loads, hubby makes beef jerky which is yum  :D

Havent dried any fruit or veg yet but am experimenting today with some toms to see how things turn out.

It is rather bulky tho but did come with attachments for fruit leathers and yogurt I think. 

I will go check the make in a mo!!

yoghurt ?  ----- now i am confused  :blush:

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 15:39 »
Thanks, hobnails. It looks the business. I'll see if any of my local shops carry it first.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 16:46 »

I'm quite impressed with it Jay as it comes with comprehensive drawings and pictures. Only possible drawback is finding the 200w filament bulbs it uses when the sun is not shining.
[/quote]

hang on i thought it was supposed to be green and cheap and eco friendly  :nowink: using those bulbs ??? ???

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 17:08 »
just had a look myself hobnails looks pretty good from the pages the site let you look through will hint to my fiancce over in ohio -- that it would make a nice gift for me  :D

I think the biggest filament bulb you are allowed to buy these days thanks to the the environment police is a 60W.
No reason why you can't use 3 is there? (can't find a tongue in cheek smiley)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 17:09 by Lawrence »

xx
dehydrating

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

35 Replies
Last post September 08, 2012, 18:35
by tosca100
xx
Dehydrating potatoes

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 30, 2013, 10:34
by Aunt Sally
xx
Dehydrating greens

Started by New shoot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2015, 08:10
by New shoot
xx
Dehydrating food

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 15:20
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 36 queries.