Rufus went today

• 12 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Rufus went today
« on: February 18, 2024, 00:01 »
Some 10 years ago, Cara gave us two semi-feral cats. Rufus & Martha, who would live in the cowshed and would be no trouble..
Well Martha vanished we know not where and pretty soon I woke one night to find him asleep on my bed. After a few weeks he was one of the gang in the house and very settled, thank you. As a feral, following the call of the wild and living on his hunting skills, he wasn't very successful. Being scared of mice and spiders isn't a great start in the feline world.
The only real illnesses he had was some fitting in2015 which turned out to be an allergic reaction to flea bites and an infected eye in 2020. Being as he was really tough to catch we got him to the vets too late to sort things and eventually he had to have the eye removed. He recovered really well and didn't seem bothered by it.
He liked the other cats but us humans were at best tolerated. I could get a sneaky stroke when he was eating but that was it. He put on a bit of weight, I'd guess he was about 8 kg and should have been 6kg but there's not much you can do to diet one cat in a multiple cat house. He really was a couch potato - hardly goes out in the winter.
The other week he came into the office and miaowed at me until I got up and went to the food bowls, but no he didn't want food, he wanted me to light the fire!
Anyway, this morning he was leading the charge for breakfast and all was normal Then about lunchtime I went into my bedroom and he was sprawled out asleep, as I thought, on the floor. Then I thought I couldn't see him breathing and discovered he was dead.
Oddly I was talking with Cara last week and said I dreaded him falling ill and needing vet visits. Catching him would be a nightmare for us and the vet's a trauma for him.We said the best would be if he just fell asleep one night and didn't wake, we thought we were talking years into the future,
He looked very peaceful, just flopped out and asleep - I hope it was fast and painless. I suspect a heart attack - overweight and he had a heart murmur diagnosed in 2015 when he went to vet.
If he'd been rescued just a few weeks earlier he may well have been a cuddly lap cat instead of an 'arms length is close enough' cat.
We'll miss him
Strange, from 6 cats to 3 in 7 months. I'm very much afraid we're going to lose Pixie next week. The vet seemed to think her kidney disease was moving to full failure and the end was pretty much nigh. We'll see how she is but it's not looking hopeful.
The photo of him in the chair is from 2014 and the other is him recuperating from his eye removal in crate in 2020. Very fed up he was too.
rufus121120.jpg
Rufus.jpg
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Rufus went today
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 00:04 »
Sorry to hear it John, all my best to you and Val.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 09:20 »
That is sad news, but I suspect Rufus would have preferred it that way.  Multiple vet visits can be a trauma for any cat, but a hands off suspicious ex-feral would have found it extremely tough.  10 years of living life his way with humans who knew their place is a pretty good outcome for a cat who started out living wild.

Sad about Pixie as well.  Even if you know what is coming, it doesn’t make it any easier  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 09:21 »
Sad news John, but you know the years he had with you were the best he could have.
RIP Rufus!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 11:32 »
When you go to heaven, John, you will be given honorary whiskers and hang out with all the cool cats  :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 13:04 »
I should have said, Rufus came to us when Cara moved to Wales. He would have been 16 this year, so he had a normal housecat lifetime.

When we first had cats, expected lifespan was around 12 but nutrition has improved and veterinary science so they live longer now.

Gary came over and we've buried him in the cat cemetery.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 21:02 »
Ahh, RIP Rufus, what a lovely life he had with you, living his best life, allowed to be how he wanted to be, what could be better for a semi feral cat.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 10:29 »
Sorry to hear Rufus is no longer with your family. You gave him a good life, and at least he passed peacefully.  I'm also sad to hear of Pixie's decline.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 11:42 »
Pixie's eaten well this morning - 80 grams of her renal catfood plus some normal food and seems a bit better. Spoke to the vet who was expecting me to book in for the last visit. She warned me it might not last but every day is a bonus. Once she's had enough is time.

Life is very precious and even if the quality isn't 100% I figure it's up to the cat. Once they turn their face to the wall, then I'll help them leave.

Missing Rufus more than I would have thought. He might have kept his distance but he was around. Breakfast is a lot quieter without him being there to hoover up what the other cats leave. And the hearth rug is empty without him.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2024, 14:13 »
It is good to hear that Pixie has improved.  Taking it day by day is definitely the way to go. 

Maybe you could find a rescue cat who could fill the hearth rug up a bit.  There must be lots that are passed over in shelters because they are standoffish.  A household like yours where cats can relax and not feel pressured would be ideal.  If a vagabond like Rufus felt safe enough to sleep on your bed after living in a cowshed, you might even convert them into liking the people in their domain :)

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2024, 15:29 »
Not just yet (and do remember that we're not actually spring chickens) :tongue2:. Apart from Pixie, we do still have another two cats, Dexter (a big sloppy black cat) who is 16 soon and probably would accept another "new" cat still, and Lottie, a 14 year old bengally cross female who, most definitely would not! She accepted Amber, the only "welsh" cat but she was only 2 at the time not 14 and had been brought up with and moved to Wales with the others (except Rufus and he knew his place :wub:). She won't even let me and John sit together, she has to get between us. And she is just doing the same between John and Clive who are sitting at the table. ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 15:40 by Val H »
Val
Recipes Galore!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2024, 15:52 »
We'll see....

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2024, 18:24 »
So sorry to hear this John and Val  :(

Definitely the least traumatic way for Rufus. Thinking of you all and Pixie too x
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sad
Fingers crossed for Rufus

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

34 Replies
Last post June 27, 2016, 21:30
by John
xx
It's International Cat Day Today

Started by mumofstig on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2017, 11:27
by meriad
smiley
Look who I picked up today.

Started by Lardman on Pets without Feathers

49 Replies
Last post February 28, 2013, 20:53
by Dawnuss
xx
Miki has been neutered today

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 21:29
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 53 queries.