Which chickens?

• 4 Replies

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
Which chickens?
« on: February 04, 2010, 16:45 »
Well we are down to one now (of the original 4 warrens we got nearly 2 years ago) and of course I want some more but what to get.  I had my eye on Black Rocks as I know they are supposed to be good all round hardy hybrids, but they seem to be a bit in short supply.  I have had a look at others similar, but now I think they are a bit too dark in colour and we really do like the brown chicken colour  ::)

So... in terms of hybrids (more cost effective - sorry but there it is) I have been thinking about the calder ranger (columbian blacktail), but can't find out that much about them, I think they are pretty hardy (bit more hardy than our Warrens and we are very exposed here and do need something hardy).  But will the Calders only have a short egg laying life (our Warren is still going but her shell quality isn't brilliant despite all the normal things you can do to help this); are they as hardy and (potentially) long lived as the black rocks.

The other choice, this time NOT a hybrid and therefore inital spending the pennies up front is a BIT more!, is the Welsummer, I just love them.  I know they won't lay as many eggs as the hybrids but am more interested in a bird that will lay for longer and have the potential of a longer life.

I have narrowed it down to these two (have spent days looking at hens, reading books etc) but just can't decide.  I would be tempted (to bring down the intial cost - and I am sorry but it is rather important to us right now) to go down the hatching eggs route or younger hens but we just don't have the infrastructure for this right now.

Any help and advice would be very welcome.   :)  Sorry for the very long post.  :blink:

treacleminer

Re: Which chickens?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 18:48 »
Hi, have you this seen website?

http://www.cyril-bason.co.uk/egglayers.htm

I don't know anything about them as a company, but the bird info looked quite helpful.
Have you though about getting a mixed variety of hybrids? If you get them all from the same supplier and introduce them together there should be no disease/quarantine problems and hopefully fairly quick pecking order established.  The advantage of different ones is if they are named pets you have at least half a chance of telling them apart,  I never could when I had warrens although my daughter claimed she could - on the other hand I get my kids names wrong anyway!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 19:05 »
A couple of hybrids for eggs and a couple of pure breeds for longevity?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

chooksbury

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 21:04 »
So you like the brown hens ?  How about mabel Pearman's Burford Browns .. I have three .. just 28 wks old now.  They started laying on Dec 21st and haven't stopped.. bless em despite the foulness of the weather, they pop out beautiful dark brown speckled eggs like clockwork.  They're very friendly and amenable, sweet natured and affectionate ... The chap whose auntie "invented" them wont tell their origins but I believe there is a large degree of copper black maran in there, and looking at some of them who have feathery feet, some orpy as they're chunky munkies !  Here's the chap's website for contact and information .. http://www.legbarsofbroadway.co.uk/

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 21:21 »
Are you around Devon way maybe??? :)

There is the Devon Fanciers Show and sale 14th feb in Dawlish, just outside Exeter, usually around 1000 poultry on show, not sure what the sale lots look like but only exhibitors allowed to sell so should be good quality birds. :)

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
how do i sex my chickens?

Started by eshclabob on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2008, 15:53
by eshclabob

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 40 queries.