Chicken help!

• 4 Replies

lianne1978

Chicken help!
« on: March 28, 2010, 17:01 »
Hi there,

I've had an allotment plot for around 4 years and we've now decided to keep chickens too. I've ordered a book from Amazon and we know which coop we are going to get, plus we've had plenty of advice from chicken keepers on our site. However, I'd love to know from the more experienced people on here what chickens are the best layers and make good pets (I have 2 children and the names are already chosen!), also how many chickens are enough for a family of 4, with a little extra left over every week for the extended family! I look forward to your answers!

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
Re: Chicken help!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 17:08 »
hi ive 4 rhode island red girls, full size not banatam. there my 1st lot of hens ever :) and am v happy with them, they lay on most days now 1 a day, thats roughly an average 25 ish eggs a week. mine have v large brown eggs. they stop laying in winter though as i think most pure bred ones do. pls correct me on that one if im wrong :wacko:

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:55 »
We are a family of four, and we have seven hens, five laying ... with four or five eggs a day, I can sell a dozen or so eggs a week to pay for their feed.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:59 »
Hi Beulah,
I have 2 rough and tumble boys and my warrans adore them!
They are no trouble whatsoever, they have only not layed on a handful of days over the last 2 years, therefore giving me 14 eggs a week for just me and my 2 sons.  I have tried to bake with what eggs we don't have boiled, scrambled or fried (best fast food ever!) but alas, my baking skills don't come up to scratch. 
The are no trouble and very hardy, receiving very little care in my opinion (slightly guilty in that department :blush:)  the boys manage most of their care at just 6 and 8 years old.
I have a silkie and a wyndotte too, they are much more trouble being broody and a worry in the mud and the rain, not like the hardcore Warrens!
Best buy I ever made at just £2!!!  I think I got lucky and smiled at the right guy on the right day to get that price though LOL
There are some Hybrids out there that also live upto this standard too, but I don't know much about them.  I think it will be down to what you can get your hands on really, like I say, maybe I was just lucky.
Good Luck, Claire. xxx
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

walker

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:23 »
We also have four hens 2 light sussex and two rhode island red and they produce
3-4 eggs a day which is enough for a family of four and to have some left over.
One light Sussex , two bluebells, two white stars, two speckled stars , two cream legbars.

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Sad chicken - help please!

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 03, 2010, 09:51
by Bonniebean
xx
Help! a chicken has done a really odd poo.

Started by Ribbit on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 13:39
by Ribbit
xx
Chicken in a box

Started by jertzee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 15:24
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 38 queries.